What is the differential equation model for this Mass Spring Damping system?

In summary, the conversation involved obtaining the differential equation model for a system involving two masses (m1 and m2) connected by dampers (B1 and B2) and springs (k1 and k2). The direct approach of treating each mass individually and applying Newton's second law of motion was suggested, resulting in a set of simultaneous differential equations. The correct equations were determined to be m1*d2y/dt2 = F1 - K1(y1-y2) - B1(dy1/dt-dy2/dt) and m2*d2y2/dt2 = F2 + K1(y1-y2) + B1(dy1/dt-dy2/dt) - k2*y2
IState21

Homework Statement

fjl3dl.png

That is the system.

B1 and B2 are the dampers
I am asked to obtain the differential equation model for the system. I haven't dealt with these in a while so I'm not sure where to start.

Homework Equations

Like I stated earlier i haven't messed with one of these in a while so I'm not really sure how to get started. Any help to get the wheels goin would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
IState21 said:
I am asked to obtain the differential equation model for the system. I haven't dealt with these in a while so I'm not sure where to start.

Homework Equations

Like I stated earlier i haven't messed with one of these in a while so I'm not really sure how to get started. Any help to get the wheels goin would be greatly appreciated.
The direct approach is to treat each mass individually (at least at the beginning), and apply Newton's second law of motion,

[tex] m_n \underline{\ddot y_n} = \sum \vec F_n [/tex]

[Edit: In my notation above, the n subscript refers to the particular mass in question, and not any particular force acting on that mass. (There may be multiple forces associated with a given n.)]

You'll end up with a set of simultaneous differential equations (in this case, two simultaneous differential equations, one equation for each n).

(Hint: I see 3 forces acting on m1 and 5 forces acting on m2)

Once you have your set of simultaneous differential equations, you could express them together using linear algebra (if the equations are linear -- which they are in this case), or whatever representation your coursework calls for.

Last edited:
For the first equation I get
[tex]m_{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}=F_{1}-K_{1}y-B_{1}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
does that look correct?

IState21 said:
For the first equation I get
[tex]m_{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}=F_{1}-K_{1}y-B_{1}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
does that look correct?
No not quite.

Are you sure you mean m2 for this equation and not m1?

Also the force felt on m1 by the spring k1 depends on the difference between y1 and y2; not just y1 alone.

Similarly, the force felt on m1 by the dampener B1 is proportional the difference in velocities between m1 and m2.

collinsmark said:
No not quite.

Are you sure you mean m2 for this equation and not m1?

Also the force felt on m1 by the spring k1 depends on the difference between y1 and y2; not just y1 alone.

Similarly, the force felt on m1 by the dampener B1 is proportional the difference in velocities between m1 and m2.

You are right, I meant to put [tex]m_{2}[/tex]

So are you saying
[tex]m_{1}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}=F_{1}-K_{1}(y_{1}-y_{2})-B_{1}(\frac{dy_{1}}{dt}-\frac{dy_{2}}{dt}))[/tex]

IState21 said:
So are you saying
[tex]m_{1}\frac{d^{2} {\color{red}y}}{dt^{2}}=F_{1}-K_{1}(y_{1}-y_{2})-B_{1} \left( \frac{dy_{1}}{dt}-\frac{dy_{2}}{dt} \right)[/tex]
That looks quite a bit better. :approve:

(I modified the format of the parenthesis a little. Also red emphasis mine.)

Just make sure you label the y in the d2y/dt2 term. Remember, there's two ys, y1 and y2. You need to specify which one.

collinsmark said:
That looks quite a bit better. :approve:

(I modified the format of the parenthesis a little. Also red emphasis mine.)

Just make sure you label the y in the d2y/dt2 term. Remember, there's two ys, y1 and y2. You need to specify which one.

for m2 i got:

[tex]m_{2}\frac{d^{2}y_{2}}{dt^{2}}=F_{2}+K_{1}y_{1}+B_{1}\frac{dy_{1}}{dt}-k_{2}y_{2}-B_{2}\frac{dy_{2}}{dt}[/tex]

how does that look?

IState21 said:
for m2 i got:

[tex]m_{2}\frac{d^{2}y_{2}}{dt^{2}}=F_{2}+ {\color{red}K_{1}y_{1}}+{\color{red}B_{1}\frac{dy_{1}}{dt}}-k_{2}y_{2}-B_{2}\frac{dy_{2}}{dt}[/tex]

how does that look?
Similar [but not identical to] before, the force from spring k1 depends on the difference in position of y1 and y2. Similarly, the force from the dampener B1 depends on the difference between the velocities of the two masses.

collinsmark said:
Similar [but not identical to] before, the force from spring k1 depends on the difference in position of y1 and y2. Similarly, the force from the dampener B1 depends on the difference between the velocities of the two masses.

You are right, i forgot to figure that in

[tex]m_{2}\frac{d^{2}y_{2}}{dt^{2}}=F_{2}+K_{1}(y_{1}-y_{2})+B_{1}(\frac{dy_{1}}{dt}-\frac{dy_{2}}{dt})-k_{2}y_{2}-B_{2}\frac{dy_{2}}{dt}[/tex]

correct?

IState21 said:
You are right, i forgot to figure that in

[tex]m_{2}\frac{d^{2}y_{2}}{dt^{2}}=F_{2}+K_{1}(y_{1}-y_{2})+B_{1}(\frac{dy_{1}}{dt}-\frac{dy_{2}}{dt})-k_{2}y_{2}-B_{2}\frac{dy_{2}}{dt}[/tex]

correct?
'Looks good to me! :approve:

What is a mass spring damping system?

A mass spring damping system is a physical system that consists of a mass suspended on a spring, with a damping mechanism to control the movement of the mass. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model various real-world systems.

What is the purpose of a mass spring damping system?

The purpose of a mass spring damping system is to study and understand the behavior of dynamic systems, such as vibrations and oscillations. It also has practical applications in fields such as aerospace, automotive, and mechanical engineering.

How does damping affect the behavior of a mass spring system?

Damping in a mass spring system helps to dissipate energy and reduce the amplitude of vibrations. It can be adjusted to control the rate at which the system returns to its equilibrium position after being disturbed.

What factors affect the frequency of a mass spring system?

The frequency of a mass spring system is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object, and the amount of damping present. A higher stiffness or mass will result in a higher frequency, while increased damping will decrease the frequency.

How is a mass spring damping system used in real-world applications?

Mass spring damping systems are used in various real-world applications, such as shock absorbers in vehicles, vibration isolation systems in buildings and bridges, and in musical instruments to produce sound. They are also used in earthquake engineering to reduce the impact of seismic waves on structures.