Matlab clones - Graphic interface?

In summary, the conversation is about the availability of "Matlab clones" with a user graphic interface. The person asking the question is not familiar with high level maths and is looking for free software with a GUI. The expert suggests Octave as a Matlab clone with a GUI for Ubuntu and provides a link for downloading it on all major operating systems. They also mention another clone called qtOctave, but have not tried it. The person asking the question mentions they only have Windows XP and thanks the expert for their help.
atferrari
Matlab "clones" - Graphic interface?

I am not into high level maths, but struggling with them from time to time when trying to solve some (for me) unusual problems.

Is it any of the so called "Matlab clones" available with GUI? Command line is something that would add an extra concern to my current difficulties.

I just would like to know about free software with user graphic interface. (I have the awful feeling that there is not...).

Thanks for any reply.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

A google search shows that there were a couple in development, but the only one still active is qtOctave: http://qtoctave.wordpress.com/

I haven't tried it, but the screenshots look ok.

This site looks like it gives a passable introduction (and recommends qtOctave)
http://www.malinc.se/math/octave/mainen.php

Sorry but I have only Win XP.

Gracias anyway.

1. What is a Matlab clone?

A Matlab clone is a software program that functions similarly to Matlab, a popular programming language and environment used for data analysis, visualization, and numerical computation.

2. What is a graphic interface in the context of Matlab clones?

A graphic interface, also known as a GUI (graphical user interface), is a visual way for users to interact with a software program. In the context of Matlab clones, a graphic interface allows users to input and manipulate data, as well as view the results of their calculations in a more user-friendly manner.

3. What are the benefits of using a Matlab clone with a graphic interface?

Using a Matlab clone with a graphic interface can make it easier for users to learn and use the program, as it provides a more intuitive way to interact with the software. It can also make data visualization and analysis more efficient and visually appealing.

4. Are there any free Matlab clones with a graphic interface available?

Yes, there are several free Matlab clones with a graphic interface, such as Octave, Scilab, and GNU Octave. These programs offer similar functionalities to Matlab and can be a cost-effective alternative for those who do not have access to a Matlab license.

5. Can a Matlab clone with a graphic interface be used for advanced data analysis and modeling?

Yes, many Matlab clones with graphic interfaces have advanced features and capabilities for data analysis and modeling, such as statistical analysis, machine learning, and simulation tools. However, the specific features and capabilities may vary depending on the clone and its version.