Is it worth taking GRE General Test before the major change in August 1st, 2011

In summary: I think you are right. The general test is just a requirement forced on departments by the graduate school. Most physics departments don't really care about it.I think you are right.
Ashuron
The thing is GRE will have a major change starting from August 1st, 2011.
The question types and scoring will be changed.
It will be called as GRE Revised General Test.
I have read somewhere the last time a major change was introduced(in 2002), there are some significant drops in scores fro the following years..

I am in my second year of my Physics Bsc.
For the graduate school applications, I must take it next year at the latest.

Those guides and books for GRE will become obsolete soon.
I am thinking whether is it a good idea before the changes take place? before August this year
That way, I am actually have around 4 months for preparation if I am taking the July test dates.

I am trying to make my decision soon enough, I am afraid there will be no seat left.

Any input is helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is a bad idea as there are bound to be some unforeseen issues with the new test. Your GRE scores are good for five years so if you are planning to attend graduate school right after undergrad then your scores will still be good. I don't think you will necessarily need 4 months to prepare for the exam though.

I was now checking the ets website, and something is unclear to me. Will they only change the general test (i.e. writing, critical reading...)? or they will change the subject tests as well (i.e. Math GRE, Physics GRE...)?

I think I will have no option but to take the revised version. Weird, the scores will be in a scale less than 200.

The GRE general makes up only a small component to physics departments admissions decisions. That said, if you have the money to spare, what does it hurt?

It can't hurt to take it early. The general exam is basically just the SAT all over again, but with easier math and harder verbal (IMO).

You shouldn't be hurt by only being a second year student.

You can always take it again later if you change your mind.

Thanks a lot all..
Redsummers, I believe for now the changes are only for the general test.

If it's not that important, perhaps I'll just take the new version next year..
Money is easy to come by these days..

Oh I see. Hmm, in this case I may take it on September. Note that there will be a 50% discount if you register for taking the GRE in September. (Plus, you will have the whole summer to study; even though the subject test is definitely more important.)
Thanks, and good luck!

Well, redsummers
Are you applying the graduate school soon? (like around the end of this year)
Since basically excelling this kind of test(GRE,SAT) needs a lot of preparation and information, doing it this September may be harmful (not enough info for the new version)

That's my thought actually.
I was planning to just prepare for the older version this July, since the info and prep material are quite abundant.
But it just doesn't sound right. It may affect my academic performances greatly.

You'll get your scores a lot earlier. Scores from the first 2 months of the new GRE will take a lot longer to arrive.

Really? Oh man, this sucks. Yes, I will be applying to graduate schools at the end of this 2011. (I will finish my B.Sc in June 2012, i.e. I can't take it later.)

But I was reading through the ets website and it seemed to me that the questions won't be that different, just the grading system and the structure of the test. However, I do know that the general test requires a lot of preparation... even more for me since English is not my first language.

That said, I always thought that the subject test (e.g. physics GRE, math GRE...) is way more important than the general one when it comes to applying. Not to mention the GPA and LOR's.

Redsummers said:
That said, I always thought that the subject test (e.g. physics GRE, math GRE...) is way more important than the general one when it comes to applying. Not to mention the GPA and LOR's.

They are way more important. The general test is usually just a requirement forced on departments by the graduate school. Most physics departments don't really care about it.

What is the "major change" happening on August 1st, 2011?

The major change refers to the significant overhaul of the GRE General Test that took place on August 1st, 2011. This change included a new test format, new question types, and a revised scoring system.

Will taking the GRE General Test before the major change affect my score or chances of admission?

No, taking the GRE General Test before the major change will not affect your score or chances of admission. Your score will be valid for five years, so it can still be used for admissions in the future.

What are the benefits of taking the GRE General Test before the major change?

Taking the GRE General Test before the major change can give you a sense of familiarity with the test format and question types. It can also provide you with a baseline score to work on improving before the new changes take effect.

Are there any differences in the test content between the old and new GRE General Test?

Yes, there are some differences in the test content between the old and new GRE General Test. The new test includes more emphasis on critical thinking and reasoning skills, and less emphasis on vocabulary. There are also some changes in the question types, such as the addition of a new type called "multi-source reasoning."

Can I retake the GRE General Test after the major change if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE General Test after the major change if you are not satisfied with your score. However, you will have to pay the full test fee each time you retake the test, and you may be subject to the new test format and question types.