Need Help with Abstract Algebra Please

In summary, the question is about finding integers between 2 and 10 for which B^(i) is also a 10-cycle, with the known answer being 3, 7, and 9. The explanation provided is that the values of i must be coprime with 10, and a general proof is given. It is also mentioned that g having order 10 does not necessarily make it a 10-cycle, as it could be a product of two disjoint cycles of order 2 and 5.
Redhead711
My question is regarding abstract algebra.

Suppost that B is a 10-cycle.
For which integers i between 2 and 10 is
B^(i) also a 10-cycle?

I know that the answer is 3, 7, and 9 I just don't know
how you arrive at these numbers. If someone could explain the
process clearly to me I would greatly appreciate that.
Thank you sooo much. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
The [tex]i[/tex] are values that are coprime (have no common factors other than 1) with 10.

Here's a general proof:

Let's say we have some element [tex]g[/tex] with order [tex]n[/tex]. Then [tex]g^i[/tex] has order [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex] where [tex]<n,i>[/tex] is the greatest common factor of [tex]n[/tex] and [tex]i[/tex].

Proof:
[tex]({g^{i}})^{\frac{n}{<n,i>}}=g^{i \times \frac{n}{<n,i>}}[/tex]
but
[tex]i = k \times <n,i>[/tex]
for some [tex]k[/tex] so
[tex]g^{i \times \frac{n}{<n,i>}}=g^{k \times <n,i> \times \frac{n}{<n,i>}}=g^{k \times n}=g^{n\times k}=(g^{n})^{k}=e^k=e[/tex]
so the order ok [tex]g{i}[/tex] is at most [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex]

Now, let's say we have some [tex]j[/tex] so that
[tex]e=({g^{i}})^j=g^{ij}[/tex]
then, since the order of [tex]g[/tex] is [tex]n[/tex]
so [tex]n | ij[/tex] ([tex]n[/tex] divides [tex]ij[/tex])
so [tex]\frac{n}{<n,j>} | j \Rightarrow j \geq \frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex]

So the order of [tex]g^i[/tex] is [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex].

In this particular case, you have [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>} = n[/tex] so [tex]<n,i>=1[/tex].

Thank you so much I understand much better now. I am very grateful for all your help.

I think that g has order 10 does not guarantee that g is a 10-cycle. If g is a product of two disjoint cycles of order 2 and 5, it can still have order 10. Is that right?

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, at a more abstract level. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures, rather than specific numerical values.

2. Why is abstract algebra important?

Abstract algebra is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving problems in many areas of mathematics and other fields, such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are some examples of abstract algebra in real life?

Examples of abstract algebra in real life include coding theory, which uses algebraic structures to design efficient error-correcting codes; cryptography, which uses algebraic structures to design secure encryption algorithms; and quantum mechanics, which uses abstract algebra to describe physical phenomena.

4. What are the main topics in abstract algebra?

The main topics in abstract algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. Other related topics include Galois theory, commutative algebra, and homological algebra.

5. How can I improve my understanding of abstract algebra?

To improve your understanding of abstract algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working with abstract concepts. You can also read textbooks, attend lectures or seminars, and participate in online courses or study groups. Additionally, seeking help from a knowledgeable mentor or tutor can also be beneficial.