Getting 1st order ODE's from a 2nd order ODE

In summary, if you want to solve for y' in terms of r from eqs 1 and 2, you first need to find θ' in terms of r-2. Then, substitute this into the equations for y and w to get the three equations you were looking for.
vohe1
Equations:

(d^2r/dt^2) - r*(dθ/dt)^2 = -10/(r^2)

and

r^2*(dθ/dt)=1

How would I get three 1st order ODE's from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How would you rewrite eq. 1 so that only first order ODEs were used?

Ok. But how would I go about doing that?

I've been struggling with exactly this sort of problem. So bear in mind that I might be mistaken. But maybe it'll help us both if I have a go too and thrash around for an answer, and if my suggestion is wrong, hopefully someone will correct it. I've been reading section 1.2 of Teschl's ODEs & Dynamical Systems. He says that

any system can always be reduced to a fi rst-order system by changing to the new set of dependent variables y = (x,x(1),...,x(k-1)). This yields the new first-order system

y'1 = y

y'k-1 = y(k)

y'k = f(t,y).

So, if I've understood this right, we could let y = (r,r'), so that y' = (r',r''), where r' means dr/dt. Then, following SteamKing's hint and concentrating on the first equation,

y' = (r',-rθ'2-10r-2).

But, hey, from your 2nd equation, we have θ'2 = r-2, so we can substitute for this to get an equation that doesn't depend on θ, like this

y' = (r',-r*r-2-10r-2) = (r',-r-1-10-2).

Then, you could let w = (θ,θ') and use substitution and the chain rule to get an expression for w' in terms of r. Would that be the three equations you're looking for: one for y', one for w' in terms of θ, and one for w' in terms of r? Or maybe the three would be y' and w' in terms of r, and the second of your given equations, rearranged as θ' = r-2; that makes three first order ODEs, doesn't it?

See the attached page. Is it that what was expected ?

Attachments

• ODE.JPG
    ODE.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 383

1. How do I convert a 2nd order ODE into a 1st order ODE?

To convert a 2nd order ODE into a 1st order ODE, you can introduce a new variable by setting y' = z. This will result in a system of two 1st order ODEs that can be solved simultaneously.

2. What is the benefit of converting a 2nd order ODE into a 1st order ODE?

Converting a 2nd order ODE into a 1st order ODE allows us to use numerical methods to solve the equation. It also makes the equation easier to manipulate and solve analytically.

3. Can all 2nd order ODEs be converted into 1st order ODEs?

Yes, all 2nd order ODEs can be converted into 1st order ODEs by introducing a new variable. However, the resulting system of equations may be difficult or impossible to solve analytically.

4. Are there any limitations to converting a 2nd order ODE into a 1st order ODE?

One limitation is that the resulting system of equations may be more complex and difficult to solve than the original 2nd order ODE. Additionally, the conversion may not always be necessary or beneficial for solving the equation.

5. Can we use the same techniques to convert higher order ODEs into 1st order ODEs?

Yes, the same technique of introducing new variables can be applied to convert higher order ODEs into 1st order ODEs. However, the resulting system of equations will become more complex as the order of the ODE increases.