Understanding Greens Function vs. Variation of Parameters

In summary, Greens function is a way to write the solution to a differential equation without actually solving it. It can be used to solve difficult equations for certain values of x, and can be integrated or numerically evaluated.
Xyius
So I just recently learned about how to use Greens Function to solve a differential equation. The formula was derived and it said the main goal was to find an integral representation to the solution. It seems to me, however that Greens Function is nothing more than variation of parameters with a different label attached to it. Is their a point to Greens Function? Why use greens function when you can use variation of parameters? (They seem like they are the exact same thing.)

Any help in understanding this would be appreciated! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops! I just realized, this should be in the Differential equations section.

I have moved it.

One point to Green's function is that it gives of a way of writing and talking about the solution to a differential equation without actually solving it:
The general solution to the non-homogenous linear differential equation L(y)= f(x) (where L is some linear differential operator) is
[tex]y(x)= \int G(x,t)f(t)dt[/tex]
where G is the Greens function corresponding to L.

Advanced Physics texts often give solutions to complicated equations in terms of the Green's function, without specifying what the Green's function is, just to be able to talk about a solution to a differential problem that is too difficult to actually solve in a reasonable time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most differential equations can not be solved in a closed form (except by inventing a new "special function" that just happens to be the solution, like Bessel functions, Fresnel integrals, etc).

However you may be able to integrate the Green's function solution for a particular value of x (or the limit as x goes to infinity, or whatever) without knowing the general solution, or you may be able to evaluate the integral numerically. In fact this is a general way to create finite element approximations for solving ODEs and PDEs.

Ohh okay! I think I understand. Thanks a lot :)

What is a Greens Function and what does it represent?

A Greens Function is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations, specifically in the field of quantum mechanics. It represents the response of a system to a point source or impulse.

How is a Greens Function related to the concept of point sources?

A Greens Function is used to calculate the response of a system to a point source or impulse. It is essentially the solution to the differential equation that describes the system's behavior.

What is the importance of understanding Greens Functions in scientific research?

Greens Functions are a fundamental tool in many areas of science, particularly in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. They allow for the calculation of the response of a system to a point source, which is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

How are Greens Functions used in practical applications?

Greens Functions have a wide range of practical applications, including solving differential equations in physics and engineering, predicting the propagation of waves in different media, and calculating the electromagnetic fields in electronic devices. They are also used in image and signal processing, as well as in finance and economics.

Are there different types of Greens Functions?

Yes, there are different types of Greens Functions depending on the type of differential equation being solved. These include the Dirac delta function, the Heaviside step function, and the Coulomb, Yukawa, and Helmholtz Greens Functions. Each type has its own unique properties and applications.