Big Fish, Small Fish: The Power of Positive Thinking

• Thread starter Evil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether it is better to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a large ocean. Some believe that being a big fish in a small pond provides more convenience and attention, while others prefer the freedom and potential impact of being a small fish in a large ocean. The question is also interpreted as a philosophical debate between security and liberty. Overall, the group leans towards being a small fish in a large ocean for the potential to have a greater impact on society.
Evil
juz a question to c yr thoughts n tis question is open to interpretation

is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a large ocean?

Physics news on Phys.org
small fish, large ocean :D

Big fish in a small pond, for it would be more convenient this way for those who are interested in observing the species you represent.

I am not that aware of how the fishes' minds works, however, it seems to me as if a small fish would be as happy as a large fish (in a sense of our human perception), therefor, except for how it is affected by the souroundings, it's size doesn't matter.
I am not aware of what exists in the small versus the large pond and therefor it is quite difficult to give a correct answer to this.
A large pond is likely the better one as there's likely more life in such a pond than in a smaller. As the large fish takes more place than the small and I'm not aware of what the pond inhabitates, I'd say that a large pond, small fish is probably the better configuration.

BIG fish, large ocean :D

small fish, large ocean.

im not someone who likes to be confined to places. if i was a big fish in a small pond i would get bored with my life.i love exploring. and the ocean is not something that we totally know as humans, it would be interesting to explore. :smile:

I can't swim in a dichotomy

I'd like to be a medium size fish in a average size body of water. :approve:

*but the bowless bowl is pretty good, glub glub*

Yay, multiple choice questions!
I will resist the urge to cheat [cough]3mpathyBoulderHead[/cough] and choose small fish, large ocean, assuming it has the greater population and lower population density.

Fine... ill give it a decent answer. small fish+large body of water. i like to explorethings too, but since there are bigger fish in the sea i guess that id have a good chance of being eaten :( i guess it would be worth it considering if i stayed alive as the other choice id be bored out of my mind.

this is sort of a question that examies how far u would gp for freedom
big fish small pond...u r the king of the world but yr kingdom is limited
small fish big ocean..u r small fry but u r free to roam the 4 corner of the world...
so which is better?
tough question...

Small fish in a large ocean.

That way, if i ever have any good effect on the population, i will change the lives of many instead of only a couple. More satisfaction.

dekoi said:
Small fish in a large ocean.

That way, if i ever have any good effect on the population, i will change the lives of many instead of only a couple. More satisfaction.

Not to be a downer, but this is also true of any bad effect you have :frown:

This is another philosophical question stated in "real world" terms (like the chicken and egg). The question seems to be about the balance between liberty and security, and which one you value more; Big fish, small pond= more security, less liberty, and vice versa. I think the "real world" phrasing does more harm than good by opening the door to misinterpretation and irrelevant solutions, but that's another thread.

the reason y i dun want to include the real world thingy is that i want to c how ppl respond to a question phrased in a diff manner...
and hey i get wat i wan..haha

honestrosewater said:
Not to be a downer, but this is also true of any bad effect you have :frown:

yes but it's nice to know that he is THAT optimistic of himself, his life, and the effects on society to think that what he does or can do will have a postive effect right? i mean if he's that confident in himself then maybe he really does have positive effects...nice to know there are people like that out there right?:blushing:

abitofnothingleft said:
yes but it's nice to know that he is THAT optimistic of himself, his life, and the effects on society to think that what he does or can do will have a postive effect right? i mean if he's that confident in himself then maybe he really does have positive effects...nice to know there are people like that out there right?:blushing:

Yes, it's possible and nice :approve:

What is the meaning behind the phrase "big fish small fish"?

The phrase "big fish small fish" is often used figuratively to describe a hierarchical relationship between individuals or organizations. The "big fish" represents those in power or with more resources, while the "small fish" are those who are subordinate or have less resources.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the phrase "big fish small fish"?

While the phrase is commonly used in everyday language, there is no scientific evidence to support its validity. It is simply a metaphor used to describe power dynamics.

Can the phrase "big fish small fish" be applied to animal behavior?

Yes, the phrase can be applied to certain animal behaviors, such as the dominance hierarchy within a school of fish. However, it is important to note that this is not a universal behavior and should not be applied to all animal interactions.

In what other contexts is the phrase "big fish small fish" used?

The phrase is also commonly used in business, politics, and social situations to describe the relationship between individuals or organizations. It can also be used to describe the contrast between different levels of success or status.

Are there any negative connotations associated with the phrase "big fish small fish"?

It depends on the context in which it is used. In some cases, it can imply a power imbalance or exploitation. However, in other cases, it can simply be used as a descriptive term without any negative connotations.