Differential Equation, finding values

In summary: After correcting that, divide both sides of your equation by x^2+k.After doing that, you get that y=-(x^2+k)+14/(2-x).Now what?In summary, the values of K for which y=x^2+k is a solution to the differential equation 2y-xy'=14 are 0, 14, and 28.
KCEWMG
Question:
Find the values of ω for which y=cosωt satisfies d^2y/dt^2 +81y = 0
where ω1<ω2

I guess I'm just having a lot of problem even figuring out how to do these at all. Since it's a second degree problem, I found the derivative of y=cosωt, which is -sin(ωt)*ω, and I found the derivative of that to be cos(ωt)*ω. I then set ωcos(ωt)=81cos(ωt).
Am I going about this right at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, KCEWMG! :smile:

You're doing fine, except that you dropped an omega factor from your 1st to your 2nd derivative.
After correcting that, divide both sides of your equation by cos wt.

Alright!

So instead of what I had, it is instead -sin(tω)-tωcos(ωt)=81cos(ωt)
Then I get the -tan(ωt)-tω=81
This might be basic algebra, but where do I go from here? I don't think that I can take an ω out because it's the tangent of ω, right?

Errr... you have mangled your 2nd derivative now, I'm afraid.
You almost had it right before.

What did you do to get the derivative of -sin(ωt)*ω?

Well, I did it again and got a new answer...
After using the product rule, I got ((cos(ωt)ω)ω-sin(ωt)=81cos(ωt)
Which gets me ω^2=81+sin(ωt)
Right?

Let's focus on the derivative first.
Since you're differentiating with respect to t, the derivative of ω is not 1 but 0.

OH! So the final answer is positive and negative 9!
I understand. Thank you!

True! :smile:

Alright, the next problem is to find the values of K for which y=x^2+k is a solution to the differential equation 2y-xy'=14.
After that, I figured that 2(x^2+k)-x(2x+k)=14.
I then distributed and solved that k = 14/(2-x).
I put K into the equation y=x^2+(14/2-x).
After doing all of this, I got that y=0.
Now what?

Let's focus on the derivative of y first.
You seem to have made the same mistake as in the previous problem...

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves variables and their rates of change, and is commonly used in science and engineering to model various physical phenomena.

How do you solve a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation involves finding the function that satisfies the equation for a given set of conditions. This can be done using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific formulas for different types of differential equations.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. ODEs are typically used to model one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for multi-dimensional systems.

How do you find the values of a differential equation?

To find the values of a differential equation, you need to solve the equation and then substitute the given conditions into the solution. This will give you the specific values of the function and its derivatives at a particular point or interval.

Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and processes. They are used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to describe the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their future behavior.