Electric company meter reading

In summary, the speaker has a security gate with a code at the entrance to their property and an old fashioned non-digital meter that cannot be seen from the road. They are questioning how the power company knows their usage since there is no wireless transmitter on the meter. The speaker suggests calling the customer service number to ask and potentially reading the meter themselves to verify the accuracy of the bills.
Jake Platt
I put up a security gate requiring a code at the entrance to my property 6 months ago but the electric company has never requested access to read my meter. I have an old fashioned non-digital meter that cannot be seen from the road.

My bill references a specific KWh usage. How does the power company know how much power I am using? Seems they can't.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I should add there is no wireless transmitter on the meter so they are not rearing it wirelessly.

Welcome to PF, Jake.
I suppose that you don't live where I do (most people don't :rolleyes:), so this might not apply to you. In my area, utility usage (mainly gas) is estimated monthly and then verified a couple of times a year by manual meter reading. Also, it's sometimes averaged over the year to even out the payments rather that walloping us with a $300 bill in December while we pay almost nothing in summer.
Why not just call the Customer Service number of your supplier and ask?

You should read the meter yourself and verify if the bills are accurate. If they aren't, they are being estimated.

As a scientist, it is important to understand how the electric company measures and records your energy usage. While it may seem concerning that the electric company has not requested access to your meter in the past six months, it is likely that they use other methods to accurately determine your energy usage.

One possibility is that the electric company uses a process called estimation. This involves using your past energy usage data to predict your current usage. They may also take into account factors such as weather patterns and seasonal changes to make a more accurate estimation.

Additionally, the electric company may also use smart meters or advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) technology. These digital meters can communicate wirelessly with the electric company, providing real-time data on your energy usage. This eliminates the need for physical meter readings and allows the electric company to track your usage more efficiently.

It is also worth noting that your bill references a specific KWh usage, which means the electric company has a record of your energy usage. This information is most likely obtained through one of the methods mentioned above.

In summary, while it may seem like the electric company cannot accurately determine your energy usage without physically accessing your meter, there are other methods and technologies in place to ensure accurate billing. If you have any further concerns, it is best to reach out to your electric company for clarification.

1. How does an electric company read my meter?

The electric company uses a device called a "meter reader" which is a handheld device that records the amount of electricity used by your household or business. The device uses electromagnetic energy to measure the flow of electricity through your meter.

2. How often does the electric company read my meter?

The frequency of meter readings varies by location, but most electric companies read meters once a month. This allows them to accurately bill you for the amount of electricity you have used.

3. Do I need to be home for the electric company to read my meter?

In most cases, you do not need to be home for the electric company to read your meter. They have access to the meter outside your home or business, and can record the reading without entering the property.

4. Can I read my own electric meter?

Yes, you can read your own electric meter. Most meters have a digital display that shows the current usage in kilowatt-hours (kWh). You can record this number and compare it to your previous bill to track your electricity usage.

5. How do I know if my electric meter is accurate?

The electric company regularly tests and calibrates their meters to ensure accuracy. If you suspect that your meter may be faulty, you can contact your electric company to request a meter test. You can also compare your meter reading to your previous bills to check for any discrepancies.