Brain freeze on Dirac EQ v. Dirac Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the Dirac Equation and its corresponding Hamiltonian. There is a discrepancy between the standard notation and the notation used in Peskin/Schroeder, leading to confusion about the sign in front of the mass term. The mistake is due to the use of a four-vector product, which includes a metric tensor and results in a negative sign for the mass term. This is clarified by including the metric tensor in the four-vector product.
jollyredgiant
Alright. So the Dirac Eq is

[tex] (i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} - m) \psi = 0 [/tex]

or putting the time part on one side with everything else on the other and multiplying by [itex] \gamma^0 [/itex],

[tex] i \partial_t \psi = (i \gamma^0 \vec{\gamma} \cdot \nabla + \gamma^0 m) \psi [/tex]

I would think that this is the Dirac Hamiltonian, but everywhere (including Peskin/Schroeder, p 52) seems to say that its this

[tex] \hat{H}_D = -i\gamma^0 \vec{\gamma} \cdot \nabla + \gamma^0 m [/tex]

So to be more careful, I tried starting with the Lagrangian density, a la Peskin/Schroeder, and got (using the Lagrangian from Peskin)

[tex] L = \bar{\psi}(i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} - m) \psi [/tex]

Then [itex] \pi = i \psi^{\dagger} [/itex] so that the Hamiltonian density is

[tex] H = \pi \dot{\psi} - L = i \psi^{\dagger} \dot{\psi} - ( \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0 (i \gamma^0 \dot{\psi} - [i\vec{\gamma} \cdot \nabla + m]\psi)) = + \psi^{\dagger} [i \gamma^0 \vec{\gamma} \cdot \nabla + \gamma^0 m]\psi [/tex]

Anyone see where am I screwing up the sign? Is it from having the sign in front of the mass flipped when you do the "other" Dirac eq (from the fact that it satisfies Klein Gordon)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

-+++ metric ? time having a - when separated out?

Nah, its the standard +--- metric.

You need to take this into account when you write γ·∇. This is understood to be using a positive metric, so γμμ becomes γ0t - γ·∇

I thought I did take that into account. Perhaps I should've include more steps between eq 1 and 2, so here they are: Start w/ dirac eq

[tex] (i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} - m) \psi = (i \gamma^0 \partial_t -i \vec{\gamma} \cdot \nabla - m) \psi = 0 [/tex]

Keep time derivative on the left, move everything else on the right:

[tex] i \gamma^0 \partial_t \psi = (i \vec{\gamma} \cdot \nabla + m) \psi [/tex]

Multiply by [itex] \gamma^0 [/itex] and use [itex] (\gamma^0)^2 = \eta^{00} =1 [/itex] to get

[tex] i \partial_t \psi = (i \gamma^0 \vec{\gamma} \cdot \nabla + \gamma^ 0 m) \psi [/tex]

Still don't see my mistake. Its probably going to be one of those things where I slap myself repeatedly for being so silly when it gets sorted out.

Last edited:
Wait a minute... When the Hamiltonian is written as

[tex] \hat{H}_D = -i\gamma^0 \gamma \cdot \nabla + \gamma^0 m [/tex]

then [itex] \gamma \cdot \nabla [/itex] is a four vector product?? So that [itex] \gamma \cdot \nabla = -\vec{\gamma} \cdot \vec{\nabla} [/itex]. I think that's it. Is that what you meant, Bill?

So. Much. Rage.

Thanks Bill :) I feel so silly now. Always with the notation. Sheesh!

Last edited:
You should notice that
[tex]{\gamma ^\mu }{\partial _\mu } = {\gamma ^0}{\partial _0} + {\bf{\gamma }} \cdot \nabla [/tex]
while
[tex]{x^\mu }{y_\mu } = {g_{\mu \nu }}{x^\mu }{y^\nu } = {x^0}{y^0} - {\bf{x}} \cdot {\bf{y}} .[/tex]
There is no metric tensor in the four vector product [itex]\gamma^\mu \partial _\mu [/itex].

dazhuzai8 is correct.

[tex]\partial_\mu = (\partial_t, \partial_x) [/tex]

whereas for other four-vectors,

[tex]A_\mu=(A^0,-A^i) [/tex].

You can include a metric tensor:

[tex]g_{\mu\nu}\gamma^\mu \partial^\nu [/tex]

but remember now:

[tex]\partial^\nu = (\partial_t, -\partial_x) [/tex]

1. What is the difference between Dirac EQ and Dirac Hamiltonian?

The Dirac equation (Dirac EQ) is a relativistic quantum mechanical equation that describes the behavior of elementary particles with spin 1/2, such as electrons. The Dirac Hamiltonian, on the other hand, is the operator that acts on the wavefunction of a quantum system to determine its energy. In simple terms, the Dirac EQ is a specific equation, while the Dirac Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of a physical system.

2. How does brain freeze occur in relation to Dirac EQ v. Dirac Hamiltonian?

Brain freeze, also known as an "ice cream headache," is a sudden and intense headache that occurs when consuming something cold too quickly. While there is no direct connection between brain freeze and the Dirac EQ or Dirac Hamiltonian, it is believed that the rapid change in temperature can cause a temporary disturbance in the nerve endings in the roof of the mouth, leading to the sensation of pain.

3. Can brain freeze be prevented by understanding Dirac EQ v. Dirac Hamiltonian?

Unfortunately, understanding the Dirac EQ and Dirac Hamiltonian will not prevent brain freeze. However, being aware of the causes and triggers of brain freeze, such as consuming cold foods and drinks too quickly, may help in preventing it from occurring.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for the relief of brain freeze?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for the relief of brain freeze. When the nerve endings in the roof of the mouth are exposed to a sudden change in temperature, they send a signal to the brain to constrict the blood vessels in that area. Once the temperature returns to normal, the blood vessels dilate again, causing the sensation of relief.

5. Are there any long-term effects of experiencing brain freeze?

There are no known long-term effects of experiencing brain freeze. While it may be uncomfortable and painful in the moment, the sensation typically subsides within a few seconds to a minute. However, if you experience frequent or severe brain freeze, it may be a sign of an underlying condition and you should consult a medical professional.