Books on practical electronics?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's struggle to apply their knowledge of mathematics, physics, and electronics to troubleshooting consumer electronic devices and constructing simple gadgets. They are seeking recommendations for books and resources that can bridge this gap and provide troubleshooting techniques. Some suggestions include The Art of Electronics, Analog Electronics for Scientific Application, and Troubleshooting Analog Circuits. The conversation also touches on the enjoyment of working with consumer gear and the challenges of troubleshooting prototypes.
chson
Hi all.

I've come to realize there's a giant gap in my electrical engineering knowledge. I've studied plenty of math, physics, circuit analysis, and digital electronics but yet can't figure out how to troubleshoot consumer electronic devices or construct simple gadgets. When I open up a DVD player and look at all the electronic components I think, "wtf?! where can I utilize my knowledge of boolean algebra and the superposition theorem to fix this piece of sh_t?" I've browsed through amazon's list of electronics books and the reviews don't really help. I'm leaning towards . Does anybody have any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at the video on this site is this what you want to be doing?
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/index.html?video_key=9022

The Art of Electronics, Horowitz and Hill
Analog Electronics for Scientific Application, Baarnal
do a good job of bridging the gap but are not troubleshooting texts

For that, its a combination.
The best web resourse is Sam Goldwasser http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/trnintro.htm

A good book is:
Troubleshooting Analog Circuits, Bob Pease

As well as books by Joe Carr.

Consumer gear is a nice break from the lab for me. I find it a relaxing pastime. At least with consumer gear, you know it worked at one time, unlike the prototype that makes you think its firmware one hour, and hardware the next, all the while its a little solder ball under the 144 pin IC.

Ron

1. What is the best book for beginners in practical electronics?

The best book for beginners in practical electronics is "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk. It covers all the basics of electronics, including circuits, components, and troubleshooting techniques, in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

2. Are there any books specifically geared towards learning Arduino?

Yes, "Arduino Cookbook" by Michael Margolis is a great book for learning practical electronics through the use of Arduino. It provides step-by-step instructions and projects for building and programming circuits with the popular microcontroller.

3. Can you recommend a book for advanced level practical electronics?

"The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill is a comprehensive book that covers both theoretical and practical aspects of electronics. It is a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding and skills in the field.

4. Are there any books that focus on hands-on projects for practical electronics?

"Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt is a great book for hands-on projects in practical electronics. It includes step-by-step instructions for building circuits and projects using common components and tools.

5. Are there any books that cover both analog and digital electronics?

"Complete Electronics Self-Teaching Guide with Projects" by Earl Boysen and Harry Kybett covers both analog and digital electronics, making it a great resource for learning practical electronics. It also includes hands-on projects for applying the concepts learned.