What Is the Job Outlook for Medical Physicists in Hawaii?

In summary, the person is considering a career change from high school teacher to medical physics and is concerned about job outlook, particularly in Hawaii where they plan to move. They have looked into graduate programs and CAMPEP certification and are aware of varying opinions on job outlook. They are open to postponing their move for a better career opportunity, but are also aware that a career in medical physics may not be as geographically flexible as other medical professions. The conversation also touches on the limited number of medical physicists in Hawaii and the potential job openings in the state. It is suggested that being geographically constrained may not be feasible in this field.
hbphysics
Hello! I got my BS in Physics last May and recently decided I would like to pursue medical physics. I've looked up a ton of information on it already (grad programs, CAMPEP certification, residencies, etc.) I know there is varying opinion on job outlook also. My real concern is I am planning on moving to hawaii and would like to know what the job outlook is like there specifically. This is not some kind of rash dream after vacation. My husband grew up there and had intentions to move back before we met. I have no qualms with putting our move off for a few years if it means having a opportunity for a better career (currently a first year high school teacher.) I've been looking a job offers online and so far haven't spotted a single one. Anyone have knowledge on this? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You also need to be asking how you're going to do your residency there, and what the odds are of getting one.

Honestly, if you're going to be so geographically constricted, I think you need to develop skills that are more broadly applicable.

I know the chance of getting a geographically-restricted residency is low. Realistically, I wasn't considering that as an option. Also, there aren't any CAMPEP accredited residencies in Hawaii. As far as being geographically restricted, my original thinking was that a career in the medical field would be prefered, since there are hospitals in every state.

Thank you for your response Locrian!

One of the things you have to remember with medical physics is that there aren't a lot of medical physicists.

I come from a province (in Canada) with roughly 3x the population of Hawaii. We have roughly 40 full time medical physicists across the province. Hence I would expect roughly 13 medical physics positions in Hawaii. I realize there are many different factors to consider - Hawaii has an enormous tourist population, US and Candian staffing models are different, the healthcare systems themselves are different... but even if I'm off by a factor of two and there are, say 23 positions. Figure the average medical physicist works for > 23 years over his or her career. Even accounting for growth, you're lprobably ooking at roughly one position opening per year in that state.

Of course it won't be a steady thing either. Hiring will be clumped. Maybe you'll see nothing for three years and then a new cancer center will open and they'll hire four physicists. When you're in a profession like medicine where there are thousands of physicians across a state like that, there will be plenty of openings at any given time. But in medical physics you see stretches of time where nothing is available.

One of the unforntunate aspects of the profession is that you can't be geographically constrained.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your interest in pursuing medical physics as a career. It is a growing field that combines physics, medicine, and technology to improve healthcare outcomes. Congratulations on your BS in Physics and for researching the necessary steps for becoming a medical physicist.

Regarding your question about job outlook in Hawaii, I can provide some insights. As with any location, the job market for medical physicists in Hawaii can vary depending on the specific needs of healthcare facilities and the availability of qualified candidates. However, there are some factors that may influence the job outlook in Hawaii.

Firstly, it is important to note that Hawaii has a relatively small population compared to other states in the US, which may limit the number of job opportunities in the field of medical physics. However, this does not necessarily mean that there are no job opportunities available. It is possible that there may be a demand for medical physicists in certain areas, such as cancer treatment centers or research institutions.

Additionally, it is worth considering the cost of living in Hawaii, which can be higher compared to other states. This may also impact the number of job opportunities available, as some healthcare facilities may have limited budgets for hiring medical physicists.

However, with the increasing demand for medical physicists in the healthcare industry, it is possible that the job outlook in Hawaii may improve in the coming years. As a first-year high school teacher, you may have the opportunity to gain some experience and further your education in medical physics before making the move to Hawaii. This may increase your chances of finding job opportunities in the state.

In conclusion, while the job outlook for medical physicists in Hawaii may be more limited compared to other states, it is not impossible to find opportunities in the field. I would recommend continuing your research and networking with professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the job market in Hawaii. Best of luck in your career pursuits!

1. What is a Medical Physicist in Hawaii?

A Medical Physicist in Hawaii is a healthcare professional who specializes in using physics principles and techniques to provide safe and effective medical imaging and radiation therapy treatments for patients.

2. What education and training is required to become a Medical Physicist in Hawaii?

To become a Medical Physicist in Hawaii, one must have a graduate degree in medical physics or a related field, such as physics, engineering, or radiological science. They must also complete a residency program and pass a certification exam.

3. What are the job responsibilities of a Medical Physicist in Hawaii?

The job responsibilities of a Medical Physicist in Hawaii include quality assurance and safety checks for medical equipment, treatment planning for radiation therapy, and ensuring accurate delivery of radiation doses to patients. They also provide consultation and support to other healthcare professionals, such as physicians and radiologists.

4. What is the job outlook for Medical Physicists in Hawaii?

The job outlook for Medical Physicists in Hawaii is favorable, with an expected growth rate of 14% from 2018 to 2028 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the increasing use of radiation therapy in cancer treatment and the need for qualified professionals to ensure its safe and effective delivery.

5. How does a Medical Physicist in Hawaii contribute to patient care?

A Medical Physicist in Hawaii plays a crucial role in patient care by ensuring the safe and accurate delivery of radiation therapy treatments. They also work closely with other healthcare professionals to develop treatment plans that are tailored to each patient's specific needs, maximizing the effectiveness of the treatment while minimizing potential side effects.