Using nanotubes as stem cell straws

• Thread starter christiangalle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Stem
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential uses of nanotubes and buckyballs, both individually and in combination. The speaker imagines using these materials in a similar fashion to playing with legos and kinects. They also mention the concept of prepositions and how it relates to the actions that can be performed with these materials. The conversation also explores the idea of using coated nanotubes as a means of delivering stem cells and other substances. The speaker suggests that a long nanotube could potentially be used as a stimulating diode, and that a gated nanotube pathway could be utilized for delivering stem cells. Overall, the conversation highlights the exciting possibilities of nanotubes and buckyballs in various applications.
christiangalle
I'm interested in nanotubes, and buckyball combos. I imagine playing with the a buckyball toy, and a nanotube toy, similar to how I used to play with legos, and kinects. I think of the interesting things that buckyballs can do inside the system of a nanotube. The best creatively inspiring evaluation that I can give is what in english is called prepositions. For a simplified explanation, a preposition is what a squirrel can do to a mountain. A squirrel can go under a mountain, through a mountain, or past a mountain. A buckyball can be spun in a nanotube, a buckyball can be delivered in a nanotube, a buckyball can be launched in a nanotube, etc. Well this got me to thinking, what if we can use a nanotube, coated in another material (maybe bio-activated, or magnetic), as a straw like system to deliver stem cells, and other things. I'm sure a long nanotube could be used as a stimulating diode. A nanotube pathway gated at the outside of the body, can be utilized to deliver a stem cell. A simple nanotube can warp a stem cell, etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
christiangalle said:
I'm interested in nanotubes, and buckyball combos. I imagine playing with the a buckyball toy, and a nanotube toy, similar to how I used to play with legos, and kinects. I think of the interesting things that buckyballs can do inside the system of a nanotube. The best creatively inspiring evaluation that I can give is what in english is called prepositions. For a simplified explanation, a preposition is what a squirrel can do to a mountain. A squirrel can go under a mountain, through a mountain, or past a mountain. A buckyball can be spun in a nanotube, a buckyball can be delivered in a nanotube, a buckyball can be launched in a nanotube, etc. Well this got me to thinking, what if we can use a nanotube, coated in another material (maybe bio-activated, or magnetic), as a straw like system to deliver stem cells, and other things. I'm sure a long nanotube could be used as a stimulating diode. A nanotube pathway gated at the outside of the body, can be utilized to deliver a stem cell. A simple nanotube can warp a stem cell, etc.

Is there a question in there somewhere or did you just feel the need to share your thoughts?

What are nanotubes and how are they used in stem cell research?

Nanotubes are tiny hollow tubes made of carbon atoms that are about 10,000 times smaller than a human hair. They are used in stem cell research as a tool to deliver nutrients and growth factors to the stem cells.

How do nanotubes act as "straws" for stem cells?

Nanotubes have a hollow core that allows for the passage of fluids and molecules. In the case of stem cells, the nanotubes are coated with specific proteins or growth factors that attract the stem cells and guide them towards the opening of the nanotube, acting as a straw for the stem cells to travel through.

What are the potential benefits of using nanotubes as stem cell straws?

Using nanotubes as stem cell straws can improve the efficiency of stem cell delivery, increase the survival rate of transplanted stem cells, and provide a more controlled environment for the stem cells to grow and differentiate.

Are there any risks associated with using nanotubes as stem cell straws?

There is a potential risk of toxicity if the nanotubes are not properly coated or if they are made of certain materials that may harm the stem cells. However, extensive research is being conducted to address these concerns and ensure the safe use of nanotubes in stem cell research.

What is the current status of using nanotubes as stem cell straws in clinical applications?

While there has been promising research on the use of nanotubes as stem cell straws, it is still in the early stages and has not yet been approved for clinical use. Further studies and trials are needed to fully understand the potential of this technology and ensure its safety and effectiveness.