English Naming Guide for Physics Variables in Flash Programming

In summary, the conversation discusses the naming of variables in a Rigid Body Dynamics Engine being programmed for Macromedia Flash. The speaker asks for help with naming certain factors, including the spring constant, damping constant, and relaxed length of a spring. They also mention a website they are using to learn about dynamics.
Alphanimal
Hi there!
I'm not english, and i learned Physics in German, so i don't know how certain things are called.
I am programming a Rigid Body Dynamics Engine for Macromedia Flash, and I'm often not sure how to name my variables.

Well, how are the following things called in english?
1. The constant factor a spring has, which describes the force it applys (force = (relaxedLength-currentLength)*someFactor)
2. When a spring is compressed/extended, it can have some kind of damping or cushion. (It is calculated by the speed at which the spring is compressed) How would you call this factor (dampForce = compressionSpeed*strangeFactor)
3. Another factor, that decreases speed continously. (every time unit the speed is multiplied my a value between 0 and 1, it has some kind of air-friction effect, causing speed to move against 0)
4. in dynamics programming, first every force is accumulated, and then these forces are integrated (the moment of kinematics) how would you call the step of accumulating Forces, and the Step of making these forces change velocities?
5. The relaxed length of a spring ("relaxed" or "unstressed", ...)

Of what expressions can you think?
Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alphanimal said:
1. The constant factor a spring has, which describes the force it applys (force = (relaxedLength-currentLength)*someFactor)

This is called the spring constant, spring rate, or occasionally stiffness (not to be confused with the material stiffness). Usually the letter 'k'.

2. When a spring is compressed/extended, it can have some kind of damping or cushion. (It is calculated by the speed at which the spring is compressed) How would you call this factor (dampForce = compressionSpeed*strangeFactor)

The damping constant. Usually the letter c.

I'll probably make a hashed attempt at 3 and 4, so I'll leave those out!

5. The relaxed length of a spring ("relaxed" or "unstressed", ...)

Either of those will do. I tend to use original length, but you could use unloaded or relaxed. Be careful to distinguish between pre-load and post-load lengths, if the spring is permanently deformed by your load.

Wow thanks very much :) fast answer!
4.: I named them force() and step() for now...
maybe you want to take a look where i am learning dynamics for the engine: http://www.d6.com/users/checker/dynamics.htm
i do not really understand everything (difficult english) but the 2 steps are described there

1. What is the purpose of the "English Naming Guide for Physics Variables in Flash Programming"?

The purpose of this guide is to provide a standardized way of naming physics variables in Flash programming. This helps to create consistency and clarity in code, making it easier to understand and maintain.

2. Why is it important to have a naming guide for physics variables in Flash programming?

Having a naming guide ensures that all variables related to physics in Flash programming have a clear and consistent name. This makes it easier for developers to understand and debug code, as well as for non-technical stakeholders to understand the codebase.

3. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for naming physics variables in Flash programming?

Yes, the guide outlines specific rules and guidelines for naming physics variables in Flash programming. These include using clear and descriptive names, avoiding abbreviations, and following a specific naming convention.

4. How can following this naming guide benefit a development team?

By following this guide, development teams can create more organized and readable code, reducing the likelihood of errors and improving efficiency. It also allows for easier collaboration and understanding among team members.

5. Is this naming guide specific to Flash programming, or can it be applied to other programming languages?

While this guide was created specifically for Flash programming, many of the principles and guidelines can be applied to other programming languages as well. However, it is important to consider any language-specific conventions and adjust accordingly.