Question on homogeneous linear systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a homogeneous linear system and its possible solutions. The speaker mentions that a system with two equations in three unknowns must have infinitely many solutions, and provides a geometric explanation for this. They also mention a matrix or determinant formula that can be used to prove this, or drawing pictures of planes in space. The speaker then asks for help understanding the nonhomogeneous part of the question.
mpm
I have a homework question that I don't really understand what they are asking.

The book I am using is terrible so I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Question:

Give a geometric explanation of why a homogeneous linear system consisting of two equations in three unknowns must have infinitely many solutions. What are the possible numbers of solutions for a nonhomogeneous 2 x 3 linear system? Give a geometric explanation of your answer.

If anyone could help me on this I would appreciate it.

mpm

Physics news on Phys.org
2 equations in 3 unknown must have infinitely many solutions, because the only way you could have one singular solution is to have 3 equations for each unknown...
i think that there's some matrix(or is it determinant?) formula (i forgot what it's called, because it's been a long time since I've touched that...) that you can you use to prove...

Last edited:
or you could draw pictures of the planes in space, and find out that there are infinitely many solutions...

Well let's say you reduce it to the form:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & 0 & a & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & b & 0\end{array}\right][/tex]

The general solution is then:

[tex]x_3\begin{bmatrix}-a \\ -b \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

...which has a solution for each value of [itex]x_3[/itex].

Ok I think I understand the homogeneous part of the question. Can anyone help on the nonhomogeneous part?

What is a homogeneous linear system?

A homogeneous linear system is a set of equations with multiple variables, where each equation has a constant coefficient and the sum of all the variables in each equation is equal to zero.

How do you solve a homogeneous linear system?

To solve a homogeneous linear system, you can use a method called Gaussian elimination, where you manipulate the equations to eliminate variables and eventually reduce the system to a solution in which all the variables are equal to zero.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous linear system?

In a homogeneous linear system, all equations have a sum of zero, whereas in a non-homogeneous system, at least one equation has a non-zero sum. This means that a non-homogeneous system has a unique solution, while a homogeneous system can have infinitely many solutions.

Why are homogeneous linear systems important in science?

Homogeneous linear systems are useful in science because they can be used to model and solve real-world problems that involve multiple variables and equations. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Can a homogeneous linear system have no solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous linear system can have no solutions if the equations are inconsistent or contradictory. This means that there is no combination of values for the variables that satisfies all the equations simultaneously.