Rice Pudding and other things that are wrong

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I love blood pudding, I love roast beef and yorkshire pudding. I love steak and kidney pie. I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than eat rice or bread pudding.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I remember the first time my English Grandmother made rice pudding. I took a spoonful and thought "oh my god, it really has rice in it" and roaches! Oh, they're raisins. I politely swallowed it and then had to excuse myself from the table.

They are showing rice pudding being made on "Unwrapped". :yuck:

The worst abomination has to be chocolate covered raisins. What kind of sick, twisted, person would waste chocolate this way?

Another thing I hate is the bread with those nasty candied fruit in them. What are they thinking?

Any popular food you can't stand or were tortured with as a child?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a carrot-raisin-mayo salad that used to freak me out. And of course the ever popular Thanksgiving yams with marshmallows on top. pleh.

I actually like rice pudding, especially the Indian version of rice pudding which is more "watery" and sweetened with condensed milk. It also has a bit of "spices" such as ground cardamom.

I also like raisin bread, especially if it has a cinnamon swirl in it. Not sure if this is the "candied" bread that you're referring to.

Zz.

- I cannot swallow things that I don't like. :yuck:
- I always eat in my room that has a garbage bin in it! :)

I only like things that I can cook within 2 minutes.

ZapperZ said:
I also like raisin bread, especially if it has a cinnamon swirl in it. Not sure if this is the "candied" bread that you're referring to.

Zz.
I love cinnamon raisin bread. No, I'm talking about the bread that has candied citron, and other normally edible fruit that has been candied (like the stuff in fruitcake), but added to plain bread. :eek:

Math Is Hard said:
There was a carrot-raisin-mayo salad that used to freak me out. And of course the ever popular Thanksgiving yams with marshmallows on top. pleh.
AAARRGH, I have seen the carrot-raisin-mayo abomination, but my mother was never so cruel as to actually make it.

I did like her waldorf salad though, apples, celery, pecans, and mayonaise. Sounds awful, but not bad.

Bread pudding is another thing I could never understand. Blegh.

As a child I liked jello, until eighth grade science class where I learned how gelatin is made. :yuck:

Rice pudding is delicious. Damn you and your hatred of English specialties, Evo! :grumpy:

Evo said:
AAARRGH, I have seen the carrot-raisin-mayo abomination, but my mother was never so cruel as to actually make it.

I did like her waldorf salad though, apples, celery, pecans, and mayonaise. Sounds awful, but not bad.

Bread pudding is another thing I could never understand. Blegh.

Fortunately, my mother never made that carrot salad, but it was one of those things that would always show up at Sunday potluck suppers. Mom always dumped a spoonful of that stuff on my plate and said I had to eat it because "you don't want to hurt Mrs. So and So's feelings." There was no escape. :cry: Mrs. So and So was always watching to see how much you enjoyed her stupid potluck contribution.

I always wanted to try Waldorf Salad, but I don't know if I could get past my mayo phobia from the carrot salad years.

cristo said:
Rice pudding is delicious. Damn you and your hatred of English specialties, Evo! :grumpy:
I love blood pudding, I love roast beef and yorkshire pudding. I love steak and kidney pie.

I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than eat rice or bread pudding.

Rice - good

Bread - good

Milk - good

Sugar - good

Boil them together until they are a disgusting slop - not good. :devil: :tongue2:

Math Is Hard said:
Fortunately, my mother never made that carrot salad, but it was one of those things that would always show up at Sunday potluck suppers. Mom always dumped a spoonful of that stuff on my plate and said I had to eat it because "you don't want to hurt Mrs. So and So's feelings." There was no escape. :cry: Mrs. So and So was always watching to see how much you enjoyed her stupid potluck contribution.

I always wanted to try Waldorf Salad, but I don't know if I could get past my mayo phobia from the carrot salad years.
I feel your pain MIH. Luckily I was not often subjected to such things as all of my mother's friends were French and the meals were awesome feasts of imported gourmet food.

I was 14 before I ever ate anything like a casserole (made from soup and stuff), or baked beans, or other strange American food.

I actually have been told that I make a very good raspberry and raisin bread pudding. I use brioche for the bread. I even make a warm whiskey sauce to go with it, just in case you didn't get enough artery-clogging cholesterol. :)

Zz.

Math Is Hard said:

Isn't there some kind of therapy for that? :biggrin: A twelve step program prehaps starting out with watered down mayo.

ZapperZ said:
I actually have been told that I make a very good raspberry and raisin bread pudding. I use brioche for the bread. I even make a warm whiskey sauce to go with it, just in case you didn't get enough artery-clogging cholesterol. :)

Zz.
Oh, well now you're talking! :approve:

My grandmother would take white wonderbread, pour milk over it, add sugar, egg and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon and bake it into a bland, disgusting glop. Same with the rice.

It was times like these when I secretly wished that I was raised by wolves.

Last edited:
Evo said:
My grandmother would take white wonderbread, pour milk over it, add sugar, egg and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon and bake it into a bland, disgusting glop. Same with the rice.

Oh no, no Wonder bread here (Wonder bread and most typical supermarket sliced bread are banned in this house). You need a bread that either have some structure to it (good day-old french bread) or something with buttery flavor like brioche. And I use "half and half", i.e. half whole milk, and half heavy cream (told you it was artery-clogging). It adds to the creaminess of the pudding.

Zz.

boiled turnips have to rank with the top 10 most disgusting foods in the universe.

Evo said:
Oh, well now you're talking! :approve:

It was times like these when I secretly wished that I was raised by wolves.

My grandma still does that. I never liked it, I did try it a few times, but I can't stand it. She made some of it the other day and offered me some, I told her no thanks and that I thought it was nasty, lol. But...if you notice the older people that like lived durring the depression era... savor, use, and make a lot more that the rest of us would never even think up.

When I was growing up, my oldest brother (and possibly others in my family) were put off that my favorite kind sandwich was bologna on raisin-bread.

And, for a couple of years as a teenager, I liked putting orange juice on vanilla ice cream. Think rootbeer floats, with O.J. instead of rootbeer. Until one day I took a bite and was utterly disgusted! :yuck: How is it possible I ever enjoyed eating that?

Redbelly98 said:
When I was growing up, my oldest brother (and possibly others in my family) were put off that my favorite kind sandwich was bologna on raisin-bread.
OH DEAR GOD!

And, for a couple of years as a teenager, I liked putting orange juice on vanilla ice cream.
Ok, that I can see, just think orange dreamsicles.

ZapperZ said:
Oh no, no Wonder bread here (Wonder bread and most typical supermarket sliced bread are banned in this house). You need a bread that either have some structure to it (good day-old french bread) or something with buttery flavor like brioche. And I use "half and half", i.e. half whole milk, and half heavy cream (told you it was artery-clogging). It adds to the creaminess of the pudding.

Zz.
See, that sounds delicious. What my grandmother made was bland and horrid.

But the woman made the BEST yorkshire pudding and roast beef gravy on the planet.

The worst thing my mother ever fed me was cold tripe with Wishbone bottled Italian dressing poured over it. I truly thought I was going to die. I think I was 8. I can still see that like it was an hour ago.

edward said:
As a child I liked jello, until eighth grade science class where I learned how gelatin is made. :yuck:

Oh, uh, by the way, you might want to ease off on the Soylent Green crackers too.

Hmm, love rice pudding. Carrot-raisin salad is the only "salad" I liked as a child.

Rutabagas (yellow turnips), great raw, horrid cooked, and one of the best ways to ruin a stew.

Green peppers, ugh!

Cinnamon rolls: I don't dislike them, I'm more indifferent. You see, my mom baked a lot, and the one thing she baked the most was cinnamon rolls (My dad liked them with coffee). We always had cinnamon rolls on hand. They were nothing special. (the only exception was she made them caramel rolls, or as we called them, "gooey rolls".

A typical conversation:

"Mom, is there anything to eat?"

"Yes, cinnamon rolls."

"Anything else?"

That and homemade bread. we thought it "treat" when we went to a friend's house and got "store bread". The grass is always greener, right?

Redbelly98 said:

And, for a couple of years as a teenager, I liked putting orange juice on vanilla ice cream. Think rootbeer floats, with O.J. instead of rootbeer. Until one day I took a bite and was utterly disgusted! :yuck: How is it possible I ever enjoyed eating that?

I *loved* peanut butter and fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kid! And I probably still do, but I don't eat bologna anymore...

I've never put orange juice on ice cream, but I do like dreamsicles. Sort of the same thing. My mom used to make macaroni and milk. that's all it was macaroni boiled in milk and lots of pepper. I loved it, but everyone tells me I'm weird and that it's gross.

Evo said:
... just think orange dreamsicles.

MMMMMmmmmmh ... dreamsicles ... aaaaahhhhhrrrrr

http://blogs.southflorida.com/citylink_dansweeney/homer-drool.gif

lisab said:
I *loved* peanut butter and fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kid! And I probably still do, but I don't eat bologna anymore...

Yeah, over the years I've lost my appetite for bologna, and liverwurst too. Two things I loved as a pre-teen.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
Yeah, over the years I've lost my appetite for bologna, and liverwurst too. Too things I loved as a pre-teen.

I used to love Vienna sausages, too...totally :yuck: to me now.

Braunschwieger...MMMMMMM.

I love it mixed with cream cheese, butter and onions, then spread on a bagle. :!)

I have some in my fridge right now.

edward said:
Isn't there some kind of therapy for that? :biggrin: A twelve step program prehaps starting out with watered down mayo.

Watered down mayo? Ugh. You're making it worse. :yuck:

Did your moms make the same thing every night of the week?

Each weeknight was the same. Monday - spaghetti, Tuesday - meatloaf, Wednesday - fried chicken, Thursday - hot dogs/hamburgers, Friday - fish (we were Roman Catholic), Saturday - steak cooked until it was unidentifiable, Sunday - roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

You knew what you were having for dinner based on which day it was.

You ate every day? Well aren't we la-di-da.

tribdog said:
You ate every day? Well aren't we la-di-da.
:rofl:

I have an old aunt that used to make raisin pie, we always used to have to have a big slice when we went to her house and I hated the stuff. Loved the aunt, hated the pie.

My Mom only made American food and really had no concept of herbs and spices.
Eating food from other countries happened when we ate out, and with 6 kids that didn't happen very often.

hypatia said:
My Mom only made American food and really had no concept of herbs and spices.
Eating food from other countries happened when we ate out, and with 6 kids that didn't happen very often.

the only herbs and spices my mom knew were the 11 from the colonel. You know what? it turns out the 11 herbs and spices were just salt and pepper. At least that's what I heard. Despite the fact that my mom knew nothing about herbs and spices I'm pretty sure I gave her a spice rack for Mother's Day at least 9 times.

I guess that beats dusting the old ones. When my parents retired, the spice rack was sold at her yard sale, still full of 25 yr old spices.

<h2>1. What is rice pudding?</h2><p>Rice pudding is a dessert dish made with rice, milk, sugar, and other ingredients such as cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins. It is typically cooked on the stovetop or baked in the oven.</p><h2>2. Is rice pudding healthy?</h2><p>It depends on the ingredients used. Rice pudding can be a good source of carbohydrates, protein, and calcium. However, it is also high in calories and sugar. It is best to enjoy it in moderation as part of a well-balanced diet.</p><h2>3. Can you make rice pudding with any type of rice?</h2><p>While most recipes call for short-grain white rice, you can use other types of rice such as Arborio or jasmine. Keep in mind that the type of rice used may affect the texture and cooking time of the pudding.</p><h2>4. How long does rice pudding last in the fridge?</h2><p>Rice pudding can last for 3-4 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. Make sure to reheat it thoroughly before consuming.</p><h2>5. Can you freeze rice pudding?</h2><p>Yes, you can freeze rice pudding for up to 3 months. However, the texture may change slightly after thawing and reheating. It is best to freeze it in individual portions for easier thawing and reheating.</p>

1. What is rice pudding?

Rice pudding is a dessert dish made with rice, milk, sugar, and other ingredients such as cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins. It is typically cooked on the stovetop or baked in the oven.

2. Is rice pudding healthy?

It depends on the ingredients used. Rice pudding can be a good source of carbohydrates, protein, and calcium. However, it is also high in calories and sugar. It is best to enjoy it in moderation as part of a well-balanced diet.

3. Can you make rice pudding with any type of rice?

While most recipes call for short-grain white rice, you can use other types of rice such as Arborio or jasmine. Keep in mind that the type of rice used may affect the texture and cooking time of the pudding.

4. How long does rice pudding last in the fridge?

Rice pudding can last for 3-4 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. Make sure to reheat it thoroughly before consuming.

5. Can you freeze rice pudding?

Yes, you can freeze rice pudding for up to 3 months. However, the texture may change slightly after thawing and reheating. It is best to freeze it in individual portions for easier thawing and reheating.

Back