Variational Principle: Find Best Bound State for 1D Harmonic Oscillator

In summary: His trial wavefunction has a different form, \psi(x) = \frac{A}{(x^2+b^2)^n}, where n is an arbitrary integer instead of a fixed number. This causes the variational principle to find an upper bound on the energy, which is greater than the actual energy of the system.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the best bound state on Egs for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator using a trial wave function of the form

[tex] \psi(x) = \frac{A}{x^2 + b^2} [/tex]

where A is determined by normalization and b is an adjustable parameter.

Homework Equations

The variational principle

[tex] \langle \psi |H| \psi \rangle \geq E_{gs} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has some really nasty integrals. E.g., just to normalize the wavefunction, you need to calculate:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 + b^2)^2} [/tex]

I was able to find most of them using residue theory. It was a last resort...the only method I could think of! I had to dig through my old complex analysis notes to remind myself of the technique using a semicircular contour of radius r and then letting r go to infinity. The integral of f(z) over the arc is zero, leaving the integral on the real axis, which is the part I want to evaluate. Anyway, I'm actually pretty sure of my answers, which are as follows

The best value of b is:

[tex] b^2 = \frac{\hbar}{m\omega \sqrt{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \langle \psi |H| \psi \rangle = \frac{\hbar \omega}{\sqrt{2}} \geq E_{gs} [/tex]

My question is, in a subsequent problem, Griffiths asks us to generalize this to a trial wavefunction of the form

[tex] \psi(x) = \frac{A}{(x^2 + b^2)^n} [/tex]

Huh? Did I miss something?! I had enough trouble with the integrals the first time around! I don't think contour integration is going to help me. Am I missing some more obvious method for evaluating these integrals?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That first integral is more easily done with the substitution x=tan y, and some trig.

hmm...you're right that does work rather nicely. Not too sure about the general case though.

cepheid said:

Homework Statement

Find the best bound state on Egs for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator using a trial wave function of the form

[tex] \psi(x) = \frac{A}{x^2 + b^2} [/tex]

where A is determined by normalization and b is an adjustable parameter.

Homework Equations

The variational principle

[tex] \langle \psi |H| \psi \rangle \geq E_{gs} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has some really nasty integrals. E.g., just to normalize the wavefunction, you need to calculate:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 + b^2)^2} [/tex]

I was able to find most of them using residue theory. It was a last resort...the only method I could think of! I had to dig through my old complex analysis notes to remind myself of the technique using a semicircular contour of radius r and then letting r go to infinity. The integral of f(z) over the arc is zero, leaving the integral on the real axis, which is the part I want to evaluate. Anyway, I'm actually pretty sure of my answers, which are as follows

The best value of b is:

[tex] b^2 = \frac{\hbar}{m\omega \sqrt{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \langle \psi |H| \psi \rangle = \frac{\hbar \omega}{\sqrt{2}} \geq E_{gs} [/tex]

My question is, in a subsequent problem, Griffiths asks us to generalize this to a trial wavefunction of the form

[tex] \psi(x) = \frac{A}{(x^2 + b^2)^n} [/tex]

Huh? Did I miss something?! I had enough trouble with the integrals the first time around! I don't think contour integration is going to help me. Am I missing some more obvious method for evaluating these integrals?

note that

[tex] \frac{1}{(x^2+b^2)^3} = -\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{db^2} ( \frac{1}{(x^2+b^2)^2}) [/tex]

You can generalize to an arbitrary n. Therefore, if you know how to integrate with 1/(b^2+x^2), you can integrate any power n. Your result will contain the nth derivative which you can probably find explicitly (it depends, what is the result of the integral with 1/(x^2+b^2) ?)

Not to grave dig here too bad, but I don't think the OP came to the right solution and I didn't want someone else to be confused.

The ground state energy of a harmonic oscillator is known to be

[tex] E_{gs}=\frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega >
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \omega [/tex]

The variational principle can only find a lower bound on the energy, meaning that the approximation must be greater than or equal to the actual energy of the system.

Working out the problem myself, I got a little different value of b. I believe this is where the OP went wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is a variational principle?

A variational principle is a mathematical principle used to find the best approximation to a desired solution for a given problem. It is based on the concept of minimizing a functional, which is a mathematical expression that takes in a function as its input and outputs a number.

2. How does the variational principle apply to the 1D harmonic oscillator?

In the case of the 1D harmonic oscillator, the variational principle can be used to find the best approximation for the bound state of the system. This is done by minimizing the energy functional, which is a function of the wave function of the system.

3. What is the significance of finding the best bound state for the 1D harmonic oscillator?

The bound state of the 1D harmonic oscillator is the lowest energy state of the system, which is of great importance in quantum mechanics. Finding the best bound state allows us to understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about its properties.

4. How is the best bound state for the 1D harmonic oscillator determined using the variational principle?

The variational principle involves choosing a trial wave function and calculating the corresponding energy functional. This energy functional is then minimized by varying the parameters in the trial wave function. The set of parameters that gives the minimum energy functional represents the best approximation to the bound state of the system.

5. What are the limitations of using the variational principle to find the best bound state for the 1D harmonic oscillator?

The variational principle can only provide an approximation to the exact solution of the 1D harmonic oscillator. The accuracy of the solution depends on the choice of the trial wave function and the number of parameters used in the minimization process. Additionally, the variational principle may not work for more complex systems with more than one bound state.