Symmetry factor of a general Feynman diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the symmetry factor for a disconnected diagram in quantum field theory, which is represented by a numerical coefficient. The formula for this factor is given by eqn (9.12) and involves the product of the symmetry factors of each connected diagram, multiplied by the inverse of the product of the number of identical diagrams. This is confirmed to be true in the conversation.
omephy
I am studying QFT from Srednicki's book. Let me ask a question about symmetry factor from this book.

Let, for specific values of [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] from eqn (9.11) we get some terms. One of them is a disconnected diagram consisted of two connected diagrams [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex]. The disconnected diagrams symmetry factor is, say, S; that is the term for disconnected diagram has a numerical coefficient: [itex]\frac{1}{S}[/itex]. Now we write the term for disconnected diagram according to the eqn (9.12): [itex] D = \frac{1}{S_D} \prod_I (C_I)^{n_I} [/itex]. In this case is this true: [itex]S=\frac{1}{n_1 !} \times \frac{1}{n_2!} \times C_1 [/itex]'s symmetry factor [itex]\times C_2[/itex]'s symmetry factor? Here, [tex]S_D = \prod_I n_I ![/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. Yes, this is true. The symmetry factor for the disconnected diagram D is equal to the product of the symmetry factors of each connected diagram C_1 and C_2, multiplied by the inverse of the product of the number of identical diagrams n_1 and n_2.

1. What is the symmetry factor of a general Feynman diagram?

The symmetry factor of a Feynman diagram is a mathematical factor that accounts for the number of ways a particular diagram can be drawn without changing the physical result of the corresponding quantum mechanical process. It is calculated by counting the number of ways that internal lines and vertices can be permuted without altering the overall structure of the diagram.

2. How is the symmetry factor calculated?

The symmetry factor is calculated by counting the number of ways that internal lines and vertices can be permuted without changing the overall structure of the diagram. This is usually done by using group theory and combinatorics to determine the number of distinct ways that the diagram can be drawn.

3. Why is the symmetry factor important in Feynman diagrams?

The symmetry factor is important because it helps to eliminate redundant calculations in quantum field theory. It allows for a more efficient way of calculating the probability amplitudes for various particle interactions by taking into account the symmetries of the diagram, rather than computing all possible permutations.

4. How does the symmetry factor affect the final result of a Feynman diagram calculation?

The symmetry factor does not affect the final numerical result of a Feynman diagram calculation. However, it does affect the calculation process by reducing the number of terms that need to be evaluated, making it more efficient and manageable.

5. Can the symmetry factor be greater than 1?

Yes, the symmetry factor can be greater than 1. This occurs when there are multiple ways to draw a diagram without changing the physical result, resulting in a larger number of terms in the calculation. However, the symmetry factor can also be less than 1 if there are symmetries that reduce the number of terms in the calculation.