Spring Elastic Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a spring, load, and strain energy. Part (a) is correct and for part (b), the force exerted by the spring is equal to the weight of the mass at equilibrium. The gravitational potential energy is not equal to the spring potential energy. Part (c) discusses where the energy goes and how it is divided between potential and kinetic energy. In part (d), the temperature change is calculated. The equation F=kx is used to find the restoring force and the equation for elastic potential energy is used to find the displacement at equilibrium. The conversation ends with the problem solved and the person thanking the expert for their help.
Icetray
[SOLVED] Spring Elastic Potential Energy

Hi,

I have a question (link below with scanned page) on a spring, some load and I have the strain energy of the spring.

Can anyone help me double check (a) and guide me along with (b) and (c)? From there I think I know how to do part (d).

Your help is much appreciated.

Link for question:
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3167/document002rx3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Icetray

For part (a), your answer is correct, have confidence in your answer!

part (b) do you notice that at equilibrium, the force exerted by the spring is equal to the weight of the mass? Equate both equations together to find out the spring constant. Then you can use the equation for the elastic potential energy. You should not have equated the gravitational potential energy loss with the spring potential energy equation, because they are not equal! we shall discuss this later.

part (c) Where does the gravitational potential energy go to? Part of it goes to the elastic potential energy of the spring, then the other? Remember that when you put the load on the spring the spring starts to udnergo SHM, that means that at is equilibrium position, it has half K.E. and half P.E..We consider this mathematically

The work done that comes from increasing the potential energy of the spring to equilibrium is [tex] \int F dx=\int kx dx= \frac{1}{2}kx^2=\frac{1}{2}ke^2 [/tex]
The work done that goes into increasing the kinetic energy is thus the loss of gravitational potential minus the gain of elastic potential:
[tex] mgh-\frac{1}{2}ke^2 =ke^2-\frac{1}{2}ke^2=\frac{1}{2}ke^2[/tex]

After damping, the load comes to a rest and that means its K.E. has dissipated.

part (d) Now that you know elastic potential released by the spring, calculate the temperature change!

Last edited:
Oerg said:
Hi Icetray

For part (a), your answer is correct, have confidence in your answer!

part (b) do you notice that at equilibrium, the force exerted by the spring is equal to the weight of the mass? Equate both equations together to find out the spring constant. Then you can use the equation for the elastic potential energy. You should not have equated the gravitational potential energy loss with the spring potential energy equation, because they are not equal! we shall discuss this later.

Can you explain on this? Equate what equations together?

Oh yes, I will have more confidence. ;-)

im sure you have learnt

[tex]F=kx[/tex]this means that the elastic force rpesented by the spring when it is strentched for a displacement of x meters. At equilibrium, the force exerted by the spring is
equals to the weight of the mass. [tex] mg[/tex]

I used x for displacement and e for the displacement at equilibrium.

Oerg said:
im sure you have learnt

[tex]F=kx[/tex]this means that the elastic force rpesented by the spring when it is strentched for a displacement of x meters. At equilibrium, the force exerted by the spring is
equals to the weight of the mass. [tex] mg[/tex]

I used x for displacement and e for the displacement at equilibrium.

So F(0.04) = (8.0)(9.81).

F will be in Newtons right? What do I do next? Sorry, I'm really hopeless at this.

you should equate the elastic force posed by the spring, ke, with the weight of the mass mg since these two forces cancel out each toher at equilibrium.

[tex] ke=mg [/tex]

Oerg said:
you should equate the elastic force posed by the spring, ke, with the weight of the mass mg since these two forces cancel out each toher at equilibrium.

[tex] ke=mg [/tex]

Ok, so from that I obtain a value for k. Wit that value I use Fx? What is F in this case? I'm damn lost at the moment.

Hi Icetray

F is force. F=kx gives us the restoring force when you stretch a spring. At equilibium, the restoring force is equals to the weight of the load. Draw a freebody diagram if you are unsure. The restoring force acts towards the top while the weight acts downwards.

With k, you can now use the equation for the elastic potential

[tex] P.E.=\frac{1}{2}ke^2[/tex]

e stands for the displacement at equilibrium. At equilibrium, x=e.

Oerg said:
Hi Icetray

F is force. F=kx gives us the restoring force when you stretch a spring. At equilibium, the restoring force is equals to the weight of the load. Draw a freebody diagram if you are unsure. The restoring force acts towards the top while the weight acts downwards.

With k, you can now use the equation for the elastic potential

[tex] P.E.=\frac{1}{2}ke^2[/tex]

e stands for the displacement at equilibrium. At equilibrium, x=e.

Wouldn't the EPE just be equal to the mgh answer than? From your equation, I'd be finding the value of k. Who does this help me find the EPE?

im sorry i should ahve been more specific when i put down P.E., the P.E. that you quoted refers to the elastic potential energy

Thanks! I've finally solved everything! You rock Oerg!

1. What is spring elastic potential energy?

Spring elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position. It is a type of potential energy that can be released and converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released.

2. How is spring elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for spring elastic potential energy is E = 1/2kx², where E is the energy in joules, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The higher the spring constant and displacement, the greater the potential energy.

3. What factors affect spring elastic potential energy?

The two main factors that affect spring elastic potential energy are the spring constant and the displacement of the spring. A higher spring constant or a greater displacement will result in a higher potential energy. The mass of the object attached to the spring can also affect the potential energy.

4. How is spring elastic potential energy used in everyday life?

Spring elastic potential energy is used in many everyday objects, such as door hinges, trampolines, and pogo sticks. It is also used in various mechanical devices, such as shock absorbers and spring scales. Springs are also used in many toys, such as wind-up cars and jack-in-the-boxes.

5. What is the difference between spring elastic potential energy and gravitational potential energy?

Spring elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a spring, while gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. While both are forms of potential energy, they have different formulas and are affected by different factors. Additionally, gravitational potential energy is dependent on the mass of the object and its height, while spring elastic potential energy is dependent on the spring constant and displacement.