Drawing the Feynman Diagram for e⁻ + p → n + νe

In summary: You were ruling out the Z production based on conservation of charge and/or color. Both of these numbers rely on the compositeness of the proton, and the argument based on either one of these conservations does not work unless one realizes, as you pointed out, that the proton is composed of quarks with color and fractional charge.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

Draw the Feynman diagram for:
e[tex]^{-}[/tex] + p [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] n + [tex]\upsilon[/tex][tex]_{e}[/tex]

Sorry, I don't know how to make everything even but you should get the gist.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, what I have is the electron and proton annihilating(and this is what confuses me) into a Z[tex]^{o}[/tex] which in turn becomes the neutron and electron neutrino. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
no that is incorrect, protons and neutrons are not elementary particles.

Hints:
Think of their quark content, is there something going on there? What differs in quark content from proton and neutron?

Ah, duh! Thanks for the hint!

I'm going to be picky and disagree. What is so wrong with having a W-p-n vertex (a charge current in which a proton couples to a W by converting to a neutron)? The other quarks are just spectators anyway.

turin said:
I'm going to be picky and disagree. What is so wrong with having a W-p-n vertex (a charge current in which a proton couples to a W by converting to a neutron)? The other quarks are just spectators anyway.

Because OP thought the interaction was an electron + proton annihilate to virtual Z ...

Your suggestion is also correct, but doing thing on quark level is more accurate.

The most important thing is the exchange mehcnaics altouhg.

malawi_glenn said:
... but doing thing on quark level is more accurate.
I maintain my disagreement, now even more adamantly. This is a tautological accuracy. The accuracy to which I can predict the statistics of this kind of scattering relies on the accuracy of the up-PDF, which in turn was determined by measuring the statistics of this kind of scattering (among others, I do admit). If we somehow have developed a way to predict the PDFs, then I would agree with you, but, as far as I know ... All I disagree with is the notion that scattering is less accurately described in terms of "composite" particles.

I would say it is a semantic disagreement.

i) You THOUGH the OP was referring to the process you suggest?

ii) Of course one can ignore quark structure, I only suggested that he should look at the protons and neutrons quark structure to verify that his suggested solution that the proton and electron annihilate to form virtual Z is impossible. I NEVER said that he had to draw feynman diagram on the quark level.

I guess you're right. For the benefit of alex and others (including myself), perhaps you would like to continue the discussion:

I was ruling out the Z production based on conservation of lepton and/or baryon number. Neither one of these numbers cares about compositeness of the proton, and the argument based on either one of these conservations works for a composite proton just as well as an elementary proton.

You were ruling out the Z production based on conservation of charge and/or color. Both of these numbers rely on the compositeness of the proton, and the argument based on either one of these conservations does not work unless one realizes, as you pointed out, that the proton is composed of quarks with color and fractional charge.

In particular, if we learn that the quark model and the SU(3) color symmetry are wrong, then your argument would cease to be valid, but the proton would remain stable. Conservation of baryon number should hold, for whatever reason, or else the proton would decay, I think.

1. How do I draw the Feynman Diagram for e⁻ + p → n + νe?

To draw the Feynman Diagram for this reaction, you will need to follow the Feynman rules. First, draw a horizontal line representing the initial state particles (e⁻ and p). Then, draw a vertical line representing the exchange particle (W boson). Finally, draw a horizontal line representing the final state particles (n and νe). The arrows on the lines indicate the direction of the particle's motion.

2. What do the different lines and arrows in the Feynman Diagram represent?

The horizontal lines represent the particles involved in the reaction, while the vertical line represents the exchange particle. The arrows on the lines indicate the direction of the particle's motion. The direction of the arrows is determined by the charge of the particle (positive or negative).

3. Can the Feynman Diagram be used to calculate the probability of the reaction occurring?

Yes, the Feynman Diagram can be used to calculate the probability of the reaction occurring by using the Feynman rules and mathematical equations. The Feynman rules take into account the properties of the particles involved and the interactions between them.

4. Are there any conventions or rules for drawing a Feynman Diagram?

Yes, there are several conventions and rules for drawing a Feynman Diagram. These include using horizontal lines for particles, vertical lines for exchange particles, and arrows to indicate the direction of particle motion. It is also important to label the particles and indicate their charges.

5. Why is the Feynman Diagram important in particle physics?

The Feynman Diagram is an important tool in particle physics because it provides a visual representation of the interactions between particles. It also allows for the calculation of the probability of different reactions occurring, which can be compared to experimental results. The Feynman Diagram helps scientists understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.