Garrett Lisi, the skill level of physicists, & multiverse/holographic theories.

In summary, Garrett Lisi's "Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything" has received a lot of skepticism from the scientific community, but a few experts believe in it. It is not over speculative and there are many potential implications for the multiverse and holographic principle if true.
fellupahill
Garrett Lisi, the skill level of physicists, & multiverse/holographic theories
Okay, so after 2 times of firefox crashing and me loosing my whole 1 hour long versions of my topic

(2 hours wasted fyi lol) here it is in the express version.
Two questions. Both have to do with Garrett Lisi. He came up with the idea of the 248 dimensional Lie group called E8 being the prediction of all the sub atomic particles and their actions etc with its shape. Most are skeptical(I

believe the lack of Strong support from the majority of the scientific community is due to fear of damaging their image if such a radical idea is wrong), but quite a few experts give this theory a lot of merit. So this is definitely not over speculative.(source 1, 2) Lee Smolin of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario is probably the person who has done the most heavy lifting for the theory after its initial release. Since Lisi didn't do most of the difficult work, it got me thinking about the average level of knowledge for physicists as a whole. Have there been many major breakthroughs in particle physics by people with just above average intelligence(Not genius)? They just had good motivation and intuition? The second question being simpler I think. What is the low down on the "Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything". What do the experts(you guys) really think about its implications? Any curve in the evidence yet, it looking more yay or nay?
And actually I also wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on what this theory would mean for the many worlds/multiverse theory and holographic principle if true? In my other topic making attempts I went into detail about why I didn't believe in multiverse theory and why I agree with holographic principle. if we are like a black hole, and we really are a 2d presentation of ourselves, I think we are the only true universe. The other possible histories that could of happened but didn't can be explained with a computer but with an almost infinite amount of copies of your operating system stored on your hard drive. You only ever run one, but the others are stored there and you can predict their presence with math, but they don't exist like our reality does. It doesn't get holographed like ours does. Our universe is full of what is predicted will happen, and the rest that could of happened but didn't is just statistical data (that was a watered down explanation, but then again my theory is not really that vital to the questions lmao)

Source for legitimacy of Mulitverse theory. HERE
Source for legitimacy of Holographic Principle HERE

I have been to many dead ends for searches of obscure ideas, and unorthodox ways thinking on physics forums thanks to google. Seems like at some point or another (not sure if it is still like this) moderators went overboard with closing topics with legitimate subjects. Just the fact that the link to the topic is at the top of the SE results but was closed before any discussion took place(sometimes even after legit discussion was already taking place) points to the importance of the topic. Granted I know some of them were actually overly speculative, but many were not. I had a topic of mine closed once a while ago and it would really bum me out if this one did too, hence the source links. Maybe if it doesn't meet the standards then move it to another category? Or if I'm just being paranoid, my apology in advance.

edit: I didn't realize Lisi is a member here! Seems like you guys are very familiar with it. I am excited to see what you guys have to say.

If interested
TED Conference Lecture video- Good Laymen Friendly explanation of Lisi's "Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Gk_Ddhr0M

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have heard the argument that the Lisi's theory is incapable of including chiral fermions:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.2658

The paper is beyond me, but if the theory doesn't allow for chiral gauge theories, it seems hard to justify.

In the future, you might want to consider breaking up your post so that it fits into different threads in different forums. If you don't do that, you end up with a convoluted topics having so many different issues, that it gets very confusing. Just look at your first post. It started out with wanting to know about background knowledge of physicists (belongs in the Academic Guidance forum), and then it wants to know if amateur has ever made any breakthroughs in particle physics (General Discussion forum, and the answer is NO), and then it wants to know more about Lisi's theory and String Theory (Beyond the Standard Model forum).

For the most effective use of a public forum such as this, try to tackle one topic at a time! If not, the responses that you will get will go in all different directions, and the thread will lose its focus very quickly. That will typically result in the thread being locked.

As of now, your thread has been moved to the General Discussion forum, for lack of a better place for it to be in.

Another important notice here is for you to make sure that you read and understood the PF Rules that you had agreed to, especially on speculative, personal theory.

Zz.

I am always intrigued by new ideas and theories in the field of physics. Garrett Lisi's theory about the 248-dimensional Lie group E8 and its potential to explain the subatomic particles and their interactions is definitely a fascinating concept.

In terms of the skill level of physicists, I believe that breakthroughs in any field of science can come from individuals with varying levels of intelligence. While having a high level of intelligence certainly helps in understanding complex concepts and theories, motivation and intuition are also important factors in making groundbreaking discoveries. So, it is possible that someone with above average intelligence could come up with a revolutionary idea like Lisi's.

As for the "Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything," it is still a highly debated and speculative theory in the scientific community. While some experts give it a lot of merit, others are more skeptical. It is important to remember that in the field of physics, theories are constantly being tested and refined, so it is too early to say whether this theory will be widely accepted or not.

In terms of its implications for the multiverse theory and holographic principle, it is difficult to say at this point as the "Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything" is still in its early stages of development. However, if it were to be proven true, it could potentially have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its underlying principles.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this topic and your efforts to provide legitimate sources. As scientists, it is important for us to remain open to new ideas and theories, while also critically evaluating them. I look forward to seeing how the "Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything" evolves and what potential impact it may have on our understanding of the universe.

1. Who is Garrett Lisi and why is he significant in the scientific community?

Garrett Lisi is an American theoretical physicist known for his work on the theory of everything, a unified field theory that attempts to explain all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. He gained recognition in the scientific community for his paper titled "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything", which proposed a new geometric model of the universe.

2. What is the skill level of physicists like Garrett Lisi?

Physicists like Garrett Lisi have extensive education and training in the field of physics. They typically hold advanced degrees in physics and have years of experience working in research labs and collaborating with other scientists. Their skill level is often measured by their contributions to the scientific community and the impact of their research.

3. What is the multiverse theory and how does it relate to Garrett Lisi's work?

The multiverse theory suggests that there are multiple universes that exist parallel to our own. Garrett Lisi's work on the theory of everything has contributed to this concept by proposing a geometric model that can potentially explain the existence of these parallel universes.

4. What is the holographic principle and how does it tie into Garrett Lisi's theories?

The holographic principle is a theoretical framework that suggests that the information of a three-dimensional space can be encoded in a lower-dimensional boundary. This principle is relevant to Garrett Lisi's theories as his work on the theory of everything proposes a geometric model of the universe that can potentially be explained by this principle.

5. Is Garrett Lisi's work widely accepted in the scientific community?

While Garrett Lisi's work has gained recognition and sparked interest in the scientific community, it is still considered a controversial and unproven theory. Other physicists have raised criticisms and objections to his ideas, and further research and evidence are needed to fully understand and accept his theories.