Detecting an Ancient Civilization's satellite?

• Thread starter Archaeopteryx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of ancient civilizations having advanced technology and whether their satellites would still be orbiting today and if we would be able to detect them. It is unlikely that any satellites would still be orbiting due to drag and unstable orbits over long periods of time. The moon is an example of a satellite that has been in orbit for a long time, but most modern satellites are used for communication and would require automated systems to maintain their orbit. It is also mentioned that discussing ancient civilizations having advanced technology is prohibited by PF rules.
Archaeopteryx
If an ancient civilization were to have great lost technology and had previously shot satellites into orbit would they still be orbiting today, and if so would we be able to detect them without previous knowledge of them? Say 6,0000BC, 10,000BC, 15,000BC, 20k+BC? for the civilization times. I was just wondering if longevity can be reached for the longnin orbit.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unlikely. Anything in low Earth orbit would have succumbed to drag already, and while I don't know for sure, I think that the larger orbits are fairly unstable over long periods of time. I would also limit discussion on anything about ancient civilizations having advanced technology, as that is almost guaranteed to be an topic that is off-limits per PF rules.

according to wikipedia, nearly all orbits require "station-keeping" which amounts to small amounts of thrust over time to compensate for perturbations due to air-drag, solar wind, the gravitational field of the moon, etc.

so unless these satellites had enough fuel in them to maintain station-keeping processes for such long amounts of time, then I doubt many would survive their parent civilizations

as for detecting them... sounds highly unlikely based on our current technology. Right now we have a moderately difficult time detecting just planets. I'm not sure it would be easy to notice tiny little satellites from so many light-years away

The LAGEOS satellites' orbits are expected to take 8 million years to naturally decay (in the absence of, e.g., collisions with man-made junk) JPL website on LAGEOS. I think we would know if anything like that were anywhere near Earth (at least if it were near enough to be in a stable orbit around the Earth).

The moon is a satellite that has been orbiting Earth for a long time, so it certainly is possible. However, the overwhelming majority of our current satellites are used for communications, and those are only useful in a low Earth or geostationary orbit. Without some kind of automated system to make adjustments, they would most likely decay. If they have not decayed, we should be able to locate them with current technology although we would likely just think they were a piece of space junk.

vociferous said:
The moon is a satellite that has been orbiting Earth for a long time, so it certainly is possible.

The existence of the moon in orbit after 4 billion years isn't quite proof that an artificial satellite could do the same, even if it is only for 20k years or so.

Drakkith said:
Unlikely. Anything in low Earth orbit would have succumbed to drag already, and while I don't know for sure, I think that the larger orbits are fairly unstable over long periods of time.
If by unstable you mean that satellites don't stay in the exact orbits we want it to be in for long, that is correct. If you mean it won't be in orbit at all, that is incorrect. A satellite in geosynchronous orbit is too deep in the Earth's gravity well for anything to kick it out.

Unless it collides with another satellite in geosynchronous orbit, that is. Collisions are a real possibility since things in geosynchronous orbit tend to drift toward either 75.3°E or 104.7°W.

I would also limit discussion on anything about ancient civilizations having advanced technology, as that is almost guaranteed to be an topic that is off-limits per PF rules.
You are without a doubt correct in this regard.

Thread closed.

1. How do scientists detect an ancient civilization's satellite?

Scientists use a variety of methods to detect an ancient civilization's satellite, such as studying satellite imagery, analyzing artifacts and archaeological remains, and using advanced technology like radar and sonar.

2. What are some key characteristics that scientists look for in a potential ancient satellite?

Scientists look for specific characteristics in a potential ancient satellite, including a symmetrical and geometric shape, evidence of advanced technology, and signs of intentional placement in orbit around a planet.

3. How do scientists determine the age of an ancient satellite?

Scientists can use various dating techniques, such as carbon dating or analyzing the materials used to build the satellite, to determine its age. They may also compare the satellite with other artifacts and archaeological evidence from the same time period.

4. Why is it important to detect an ancient civilization's satellite?

Detecting an ancient civilization's satellite can provide valuable insights into the technological capabilities and cultural practices of that civilization. It can also help us understand the history and development of space exploration and the potential for extraterrestrial life.

5. What are the challenges in detecting an ancient civilization's satellite?

There are several challenges in detecting an ancient civilization's satellite, such as the degradation and decay of satellite materials over time, limited access to potential satellite sites, and the possibility of misidentifying natural phenomena as man-made satellites. Additionally, the further back in time the satellite is from, the more difficult it becomes to find evidence of its existence.