Should I Work While Pursuing a MSEE with a Thesis or a MEng Degree?

In summary, the author is suggesting that if you are interested in pursuing a PhD in engineering, you should consider pursuing either a MSEE or MEng. The author also suggests that if you are interested in pursuing a PhD in engineering, you should consider pursuing a MSEE or MEng if you want to work while pursuing the degree.
Maxwell
Hey everyone, I'm graduating this May and I have two options:

1) Go for a MSEE, which entails writing a thesis, and not working during this period. I'm assuming that it's unreasonable to work while pursuing this option because I don't see how you can research for a thesis part time.

2) Go for a MEng; a master's degree in engineering. For this option, I just need to take a certain amount of courses and then complete a cumulative exam. I believe this would be the best option if I were working. However, I think this is a "terminal" degree. That is, I don't believe you can move on to a PhD easily if you get a MEng.

Now, there are a few wrenches to toss into this decision.

1) I want to work, and I don't doubt that I'll be able to find a job, so I would like to try something new besides homework and lectures. Also, I feel bad not working right now. I am not strapped for cash and I'd be able to go to graduate school without starving, but I don’t want to be living like a student forever. However, working isn't an urgent necessity right now with respect to finance.

2) One of my life goals is to get a PhD. Therefore, I'm leaning towards the MSEE. Is it possible to work while writing a thesis part-time? Is it incredibly stressful? I just spent 4 years without a lot of free time - I'd like some time to relax.

I’m kind of lost right now considering all of these factors and I’m looking for some advice. Has anyone here worked while writing a thesis part-time?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm also a EE major graduating in May, and I decided to apply for the MS/Ph.D. program at several graduate schools. Honestly, I'd just suck up living as a student for a few extra years and go for the MSEE and Ph.D. You said that it is a life goal of yours to get a Ph.D., and it seems to me that even if you get a steady job while working on an MS, you'll have the following disadvantages:

1. You'd be dividing your time in two, and your work in the job and the MS will both suffer.
2. Your Ph.D. work and your MS work would be discontinuous, which means that you'll spend a lot more time as a Ph.D. candidate than you really need to.

In the end, it seems to me that going the route you're talking about is an ineffective use of your time. I have considered it as well, so I know that it would be nice going to work for a company and making actual money. In the end, I decided that I would be wasting my time. Of course, your situation might be different from mine: I don't have a girlfriend or anything else really tying me down, so I have no real compelling reason to get a job (other than money, which isn't that important to me).

What specialties are you interested in? What do you see yourself doing with the PhD -- teaching/researching, or working in industry?

There are a couple other options you could consider (and you probably already have). You could take a year off to work and relax a bit, and then enter the MSEE program and continue on to the PhD if you want. Your choice of jobs may be limited a bit by the fact that you only want to work for the one year, however. Plus, if you end up liking the work a lot, you may never end up going back for the MSEE.

Another option would be to go to work for an EE company that offers to pay for you to pursue the MSEE part-time. Many large EE companies offer this as an incentive to attract the best candidates. Take a look under the "Benefits" section of large EE companies websites (like HP, Intel, IBM, etc.) for more info.

I can understand the desire for a break, especially with you considering a full PhD. Maybe apply for admission to the MSEE program with a year delay, and go work a fun job for the year. Like teach scuba diving in Hawaii, or something like that involving one of your side interests. It won't pay like an EE job, but it sounds like you are doing okay financially right now anyway.

I am interested in communication systems, digital signal processing, and control systems. I also have a passing interest in VLSI design, but I'm not sure it's big enough to pursue in graduate school. I liked my power electronics class, but I don’t know too much about power design in industry. If I had to choose a specific field, it would probably be communications. I've taken two comm. classes and have enjoyed both of them.

As for my future goals, I certainly want to work in industry. I have no desire to go into academia.

I know a few companies around here that pay for their employee's education; however, I am sort of worried that they would make me get a MEng. How could I write a thesis if I have to work everyday? However, if I decide to go this route I will certainly inquire about my options.

Overall, I'm leaning towards doing the same thing as Manchot – staying a full-time student and getting my MSEE right away. I'll probably do my PhD part-time in the future while I'm working.

Maxwell said:
I am interested in communication systems, digital signal processing, and control systems.

Overall, I'm leaning towards doing the same thing as Manchot – staying a full-time student and getting my MSEE right away. I'll probably do my PhD part-time in the future while I'm working.

Yeah, communication systems is a great area. Very technical, lots of different things to work on, and pretty solid in terms of job prospects. Especially if you do a practical thesis in a hot area, you will do well in the job market.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Best of luck!

1. What is the purpose of graduate school?

Graduate school is a form of higher education that allows students to pursue advanced studies in a specific field or discipline. It is designed to provide students with specialized knowledge, research skills, and practical experience that will prepare them for careers in academia, industry, or other professional fields.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree?

The length of time it takes to complete a graduate degree varies depending on the program and the student's course load. On average, a master's degree can take 1-3 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 4-7 years. However, some programs may offer accelerated or part-time options that can affect the timeline.

3. What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree?

A master's degree is a graduate degree that typically requires 1-3 years of coursework and a final project or thesis. It is often seen as a stepping stone for those who want to pursue a doctoral degree. A doctoral degree, on the other hand, is a more advanced and research-focused degree that can take 4-7 years to complete. It usually requires coursework, qualifying exams, and a dissertation.

4. How do I choose the right graduate program?

When choosing a graduate program, it is important to consider your career goals, academic interests, and personal preferences. Research the program's curriculum, faculty, and resources to ensure they align with your goals. It can also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program.

5. What are the admission requirements for graduate school?

Admission requirements for graduate school vary by program, but they typically include a completed undergraduate degree, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a writing sample. It is important to carefully review the admission requirements for each program you are considering.