Calculate Sphere Volume: P, T, Radius

In summary, if you know the pressure and temperature of the air in a spherical balloon, you can use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of the air. The radius of the balloon is predetermined and not an independent variable. The volume of the air is equivalent to the volume of the sphere with a radius calculated using the ideal gas law.
eldon
how do I calculate the volume of air in a sphere if I know
P, T, radius

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say in a sphere, do you mean "in a spherical container?" This is the only thing that makes sense to me. If so, then the gas will fill the container, and all you need to know is the volume of the sphere. For that, all you need to know is the radius.

its not a rigid tank it is rubber and can stretch

In that case, couldn't you just use the ideal gas law?

yea but how does the radius figure in

air volume in a balloon

How do I figure out the volume of air in a balloon if I know the radius of the balloon, the air temp, and the pressure?

If it's a sphere, all you need is the radius to compute the volume.

You know the geometric volume of the balloon. You know the pressure, the temp. Apply the real gas law formula:

P1V1/T1 = PoVo/To

so the volume of the sphere using 4/3*pi*r^3 would be the same as the volume of the air?

how does that relate to the radius of the balloon?

eldon said:
so the volume of the sphere using 4/3*pi*r^3 would be the same as the volume of the air?
Sure. Simple as that.

cepheid said:
In that case, couldn't you just use the ideal gas law?

eldon said:
yea but how does the radius figure in

Maybe this is clear by now, based on other people's responses, but if you know P and T, then the radius is predetermined. It is not an independent variable. The reason is that for an ideal gas, P and T uniquely determine V, which in turn contrains the radius, since the volume is a sphere.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere is V = 4/3 * π * r3, where π is the mathematical constant pi and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. Can the volume of a sphere be calculated without knowing the radius?

No, the radius is a crucial component in the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere. Without knowing the radius, it is not possible to accurately calculate the volume.

3. How do I calculate the volume of a sphere if I only know the diameter?

The diameter of a sphere is equal to twice the radius, so you can calculate the radius by dividing the diameter by 2. Once you have the radius, you can use the formula V = 4/3 * π * r3 to calculate the volume.

4. What units should I use when calculating the volume of a sphere?

The units used for calculating the volume of a sphere will depend on the units used for the radius. For example, if the radius is measured in meters, then the volume will be in cubic meters (m3).

5. Is there a different formula for calculating the volume of a sphere in different units?

No, the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere remains the same regardless of the units used for the radius. However, the resulting volume will vary depending on the units used.