Can Batteries Supply 4.1e9 Volts & 870 Amps?

• Thread starter Cinimod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: Bob discuss the possibility of obtaining 4.1e9 volts and 870 amps from a battery or series of batteries. Warren suggests using a turbine to generate this much power, while Bob questions the practicality of such a setup. They also discuss the size and weight of the batteries needed and the possibility of using solar power to recharge them. Warren mentions the use of large batteries in submarines and data centers, but Bob points out that they still fall far short of the required voltage. The conversation ends with a humorous suggestion of using 450,000 9v batteries to create a brief burst of high amperage, leading to a joke about building a battery-powered death ray. In summary, Warren and Bob discuss the practicality and limitations
Cinimod
hi there, I was wondering how easy (I would imagine not very) to get about 4.1e9 volts and about 870 amps from a battery or series of batteries? Is it even possible to get that much from a reasonable number of batteries? If it can be is the only reasonable way to get that kind of output to have a turbine making it? supposing that it can be done with batteries, how big do you think they would be? is it unrealistic to think that batteries could supply that much? if the batteries were recharged using solar power, how long do you think it would take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define 'reasonable' it could be done with a simple arrangement of say blocks of 80 batteries in paralle producing 10Amps each and then just stack 350,000,000 of these sets in series.
You would also need quite a lot of wire.

Thats a total of 4E9 kW that's roughly the total US energy consumption.

Last edited:
lol, I did consider that someone might ask me something like that when I was writing the original post. ok... I would say reasonable would be the total mass of all the batteries not exceeding a tonne (metric).

The only thing weighing less than a ton and capable of putting out that sort of power, and even then only for a short time, is a hydrogen bomb.

darn it...I didn't think that it was a possibility, but I had to ask :tongue:. My curiosity got the better of me.

I think the largest practical batteries were used on pre-nuclear propulsion submarines, like those used in WW2. You can google some to find out more. This is a good hit, but doesn't give details about the size and power output of the batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine

berkeman said:
I think the largest practical batteries were used on pre-nuclear propulsion submarines, like those used in WW2.

There are seriously large batteries in some data-center-sized uninterruptible power supplies - e.g. 500 kVA for 14 minutes.

The max output current 780A is getting close to the OP's spec of 870A, but the voltage is off by a factor of about 15 million. :cry:

And the battery appears to weigh about 9 tons so that doesn't meet the spec either :cry:

http://www.chlorideups.com/90Net_files/90-NET Data Sheet.pdf

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what sort of electrical insulation you would need to operate safely at 4100 MV... :confused:

Last edited:
Since he didn't specify a time, you could always stack 450,000 9v batteries in series and short it - you might get 800 amps for half a milisecond!

are you trying to build a battery-powered death ray? =)

Keep in mind that 4 BILLION VOLTS is way, way, way higher than the breakdown voltage of air. You'd have to keep this deathly contraption in a very, very high vacuum to keep it from blowing itself up, and you with it.

- Warren

1. Can batteries actually supply 4.1e9 volts and 870 amps?

It is highly unlikely that a single battery can supply such a high voltage and amperage. Batteries typically have a maximum voltage of around 1.5 volts and amperage of a few amps.

2. What is the maximum voltage and amperage that a battery can supply?

The maximum voltage and amperage that a battery can supply depends on its size, type, and chemical composition. Generally, most batteries have a maximum voltage of 1.5 volts and amperage of a few amps.

3. How can batteries be used to increase voltage and amperage?

Batteries can be connected in series or parallel to increase voltage and amperage. In series, the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of another, resulting in the total voltage being the sum of each battery's voltage. In parallel, the positive terminals are connected together and the negative terminals are connected together, resulting in the total voltage remaining the same while the amperage increases.

4. Is it safe to use multiple batteries to achieve 4.1e9 volts and 870 amps?

No, it is not safe to use multiple batteries to achieve such a high voltage and amperage. It can be dangerous and cause damage to the batteries and any connected devices. It is important to follow the recommended voltage and amperage for the batteries and devices being used.

5. What are some alternative ways to achieve 4.1e9 volts and 870 amps?

To achieve such a high voltage and amperage, it is necessary to use specialized equipment and power sources such as generators or power plants. Batteries alone are not capable of supplying this amount of energy.