Phase difference and number of wavelengths

In summary: There are four wavelengths in between A and B with the lens, and six without the lens. The phase difference is 1.5 degrees.
inner08

Homework Statement

A light wave is propagated from point A to point B in space. We introduce along the way a glass lens with parallel faces of index 1.5 and width L=1mm. The value of teh wavelength is 500μm in space. How many wavelengths are between A and B with and without the glass lens? What is the phase difference introduced as we intercalate the glass lens?

Homework Equations

f=v/lambda
v=c/n

The Attempt at a Solution

With the lens, I just used f=v/lambda which gave me f = 6x10^14 Hz.
Without the lens, I first used v = c/n and then used v in f=v/lambda to get 4x10^14 Hz.

I hope I atleast got the first part right. I'm not sure how to go about finding the difference in phase. Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the distance between A and B? You are given the wavelength in vacuum (although I suspect that should be nm, not μm) so just divide into the distance to find the number of wavelengths.

How does the wavelength change when the light passes through the glass?

I don't have the distance between both points. Is there a way to calculate it or just use a variable?

inner08 said:
I don't have the distance between both points. Is there a way to calculate it or just use a variable?
I see no way to calculate it. Are you sure you are presenting the problem exactly as given?

But you can certainly calculate the phase difference.

yep. I mean, I did translate it from French but I'm usually pretty good at it. It doesn't mention any sort of distance or anything. Just says "from point A to B".

In regards to the phase difference:

with the lense I found: 500nm
without: 750nm

so the phase difference is 750/500 = 1.5?

I don't quite understand what you've calculated. In vacuum, how many wavelengths are in the 1 mm width? And in glass?

1. What is phase difference?

Phase difference is a measure of how out of sync two waves are with each other. It is the difference in the starting points of two waves in a cycle.

2. How is phase difference related to wavelength?

Phase difference is directly related to wavelength. It is equal to the number of wavelengths between two waves multiplied by 360 degrees or 2π radians.

3. Can phase difference be negative?

Yes, phase difference can be negative. It indicates that the waves are out of sync in opposite directions, or that one wave is inverted compared to the other.

4. What is the significance of phase difference in interference patterns?

Phase difference is crucial in determining the interference pattern produced by two or more waves. When the phase difference is a multiple of 2π, constructive interference occurs, resulting in a bright spot. When the phase difference is a multiple of π, destructive interference occurs, resulting in a dark spot.

5. How does the number of wavelengths affect the phase difference?

The number of wavelengths between two waves determines the magnitude of the phase difference. As the number of wavelengths increases, the phase difference also increases proportionally.