What is the fetal heart wall speed in m/s using the Doppler effect?

In summary, the speed of the fetal heart wall can be calculated using the equation fh= fs((v+vh)/(v)), where fh is the fetal heart wall speed, fs is the sound frequency, v is the speed of sound in body tissue and vh is the difference between the emitted sound frequency and the detected sound frequency. In this case, using a sound frequency of 1.50 MHz and a speed of sound in body tissue of 1520 m/s, we can calculate that the speed of the fetal heart wall is approximately 1.518 m/s.
azila

Homework Statement

A 1.50-MHz sound wave travels through a pregnant woman’s abdomen and is reflected from the fetal heart wall of her unborn baby. The heart wall is moving toward the sound receiver as the heart beats. The reflected sound is then mixed with the transmitted sound, and 85 beats per second are detected. The speed of sound in body tissue is 1520m/s .
Calculate the speed of the fetal heart wall at the instant this measurement is made.
in m/s.

Homework Equations

fh= fs((v+vh)/(v))

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so first I converted my frequency of sound from 1.50 mHz to hertz. Then I plugged in everything. I used v as 1520 m/s. and Vh as 85 beats per second. However, I was wondering shouldn't the beats per second be converted?? This is the equationt that the teacher gave in class. I guess I am not plugging in the right numbers... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What would you convert 85 beats per second to? The beats per second represents the difference between the emitted sound frequency and the detected sound frequency.

would i use the equation,
change in frequency = frequency toward - frequency away..

Yesssss.

1. What is the "heart beat doppler effect"?

The heart beat doppler effect refers to the change in frequency of sound waves emitted by the heart as they are reflected off of moving blood cells. This change in frequency can be detected by a doppler ultrasound device and can provide information about the direction and speed of blood flow in the heart.

2. How is the heart beat doppler effect measured?

The heart beat doppler effect is measured using a doppler ultrasound device. This device emits high frequency sound waves and then analyzes the frequency of the sound waves that are reflected back to it from the heart. The change in frequency of the reflected sound waves is then used to calculate the velocity and direction of blood flow in the heart.

3. What can the heart beat doppler effect tell us about the heart?

The heart beat doppler effect can provide valuable information about the function of the heart, including the efficiency of blood flow, any abnormalities in the heart's structure or function, and the presence of any blockages or obstructions in the blood vessels.

4. What are the potential applications of the heart beat doppler effect?

The heart beat doppler effect has a wide range of potential applications in the medical field. It can be used to diagnose and monitor various heart conditions, such as heart valve disorders, heart murmurs, and congenital heart defects. It can also be used during surgeries to guide the placement of medical devices and to monitor blood flow in real-time.

5. Are there any risks or limitations associated with the use of the heart beat doppler effect?

The use of the heart beat doppler effect is generally considered safe and non-invasive. However, there are some limitations to its use, such as the potential for inaccurate readings due to patient movement or improper positioning of the ultrasound device. It is also not recommended for use in patients with pacemakers or other implanted devices that may be affected by the ultrasound waves.