How to Tackle Difficult Online Homework Assignments

In summary: Yes, they can be difficult to reason with. However, they can also be helpful in promoting student engagement and responsibility.
mkwok

Homework Statement

A force F = (5 i - 1 j) N acts on a particle that undergoes a displacement r = (2 i + j) m.
(a) Find the work done by the force on the particle. (Calculate all numerical answers to three significant figures.)

(b) What is the angle between F and r?

* the problem required us to put our answer in 4 sig figs

Homework Equations

W=F*R
cross product |F||R|cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

part A,
since W=F*R, so I did: 5*2 + 1(-1) = 9.000 (4 sig figs)

Part B,
cross product |F||R|cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
|F|=[tex]\sqrt{26}[/tex]
|R| = [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]
9=[tex]\sqrt{26}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]\theta[/tex]=cos-1(9/([tex]\sqrt{26}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex])) = 37.87 degreesMy homework website tells me its wrong, what did I do wrong then?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
check your definitions again...

define [and distinguish]: cross product, dot product
define: work

That's what I get. But i) it's the dot product, not the cross product and ii) the length of the second vector is sqrt(5) not sqrt(3). My question is how did you get the correct angle?

oops. I am so sorry
I really meant the dot product...
the angle is still incorrect though

mkwok said:
oops. I am so sorry
I really meant the dot product...
the angle is still incorrect though

No, it's not. It's correct. Maybe you are supposed to give it in radians? Maybe sig figs? These automated homework checkers should be destroyed.

Dick said:
No, it's not. It's correct. Maybe you are supposed to give it in radians? Maybe sig figs? These automated homework checkers should be destroyed.

Automatic homework checker? Don't they have TAs anymore?

What the hell are they teaching in colleges these days?

Bill Foster said:
Automatic homework checker? Don't they have TAs anymore?

What the hell are they teaching in colleges these days?

Most undergraduate colleges don't have TAs.
Online homework assignments [however imperfect] can encourage students to work outside of class meeting times.
In addition, online homework assignments can be customized and randomized for each student.

robphy said:
Online homework assignments [however imperfect] can encourage students to work outside of class meeting times.
In addition, online homework assignments can be customized and randomized for each student.

You know how they encouraged us to work outside class meeting times when I was in college? They made us turn the homework in, gave us pop quizzes, and/or frequent exams.

Bill Foster said:
You know how they encouraged us to work outside class meeting times when I was in college? They made us turn the homework in, gave us pop quizzes, and/or frequent exams.

Yep... me, too.
But then again... I really really wanted to learn it... possibly unlike the generic student.

robphy said:

True. But they can be pretty difficult to reason with.

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector as output. It is also known as a vector product or a vector cross product.

2. How is a cross product calculated?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you can use the following formula: A x B = (|A||B|sinθ) n, where A and B are the two input vectors, θ is the angle between them, |A| and |B| are their magnitudes, and n is a unit vector perpendicular to both A and B. Alternatively, you can use the determinant method to find the resulting vector.

3. What is the physical significance of a cross product?

A cross product has a physical significance in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of forces. It can be used to determine the direction of a resultant force when two forces are acting on an object at an angle to each other.

4. How is a cross product used in mechanics?

In mechanics, a cross product is used to calculate the torque, or rotational force, acting on an object. It is also used to determine the direction of the angular velocity of a rotating object.

5. Can a cross product be negative?

Yes, a cross product can be negative. The sign of the cross product depends on the angle between the two input vectors. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the resulting vector will have a negative direction. This can also be seen in the formula: A x B = (|A||B|sinθ) n. If sinθ is negative, the resulting vector will be negative.