Simple volume flow rate calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the volume flow rate of a liquid in a pipe with varying diameters and speeds. The solution involves using the formula Av, where A is the cross-sectional area and v is the velocity, and ensuring that the units and measurements are correct. The problem was solved by realizing a factor of 10 error in the calculations.
Metalsonic75
[SOLVED] Simple volume flow rate calculation

A 1.0-cm-diameter pipe widens to 2.0 cm, then narrows to 0.5 cm. Liquid flows through the first segment at a speed of 4.0m/s. The speed in the second segment is 1m/s, and the speed in the 3rd segment is 16 m/s

I thought that volume flow rate was simply Av, but I've tried many combinations of the 3 cross-sectional areas and 3 speeds with no success. Do I need to add them all up and multiply? Do I need to take averages? Oh, and should I have my units in terms of meters or centimeters? I'm really baffled as to why my answers aren't working, because I know it's a fairly simple problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
All three should give the same answer when multiplying the area and the velocity. Check your units and that you're using radius not diameter.

Got it. I was off by a factor of 10. Thanks

1. What is simple volume flow rate calculation?

Simple volume flow rate calculation is a method used to determine the volume of fluid that passes through a given point per unit of time. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics and is an important concept in many scientific fields.

2. How is simple volume flow rate calculated?

Simple volume flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through a given point by the time it takes to pass through that point. This can be expressed as Q = V/t, where Q is the volume flow rate, V is the volume of fluid, and t is the time.

3. What are the units of measurement for simple volume flow rate?

The standard units for simple volume flow rate are cubic meters per second (m3/s) in the SI system and cubic feet per second (ft3/s) in the imperial system. Other commonly used units include liters per minute (L/min) and gallons per minute (GPM).

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of simple volume flow rate calculation?

The accuracy of simple volume flow rate calculation can be affected by factors such as the density and viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the flow channel, and the presence of any obstructions or turbulence in the flow.

5. How is simple volume flow rate used in real-world applications?

Simple volume flow rate calculations are used in a variety of real-world applications, including measuring the flow of liquids in pipes and channels, monitoring the output of industrial machinery, and determining the efficiency of pumps and other fluid-handling equipment.