Analysis 2 , HELP with integrals

In summary, if a function f is continuous on [a,b], f(x) \geq 0 for each x in [a,b], and f(p) > 0 for some p in [a,b], then the integral of f over [a,b] is greater than zero. This can be shown by using the definition of continuous and choosing a small interval around p where f is non-zero, and then using partitions to show that the integral over a larger interval must also be non-zero.
Misswfish
If f is continuous on [a,b], f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 for each x in [a,b] and there is a number p in [a,b] such that f(p) > 0, then [tex]\int[/tex] f dj > 0 ( Note : the integral is from a to b)

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically it is asking you to show that there is a neighborhood around p where f is non-zero. All you need for this is the definition of continuous.

well I thought about putting a "box" around it and picking variable to the right and left of p. Is that it?

That's pretty much it. Then just use the definition of continuous.

but how does the def of continuous show that the integral is greater than zero

Misswfish said:
but how does the def of continuous show that the integral is greater than zero

There is a non-zero volume [p-e, p+e] over which the function is everywhere non-zero (and non-negative) (show by continuity of f), so going back to partitions, the upper and lower sums will also be non-zero. The only reason for this to be true is that for some e-interval around p, the upper and lower sums (dependent on the product of infimums and supremums of f with the partition volumes) are non-zero and non-negative.
Now since you have shown it is non-zero on [p-e, p+e] for some e, and f is never negative, you know the integral over a larger interval cannot be less.

Last edited:
ahhhhhh that doesn't sound right. I thought about using the definition of uniformaly continuous. I picked my eplision to be f(p)/2. I then used the theorem "Suppose S is a set of numbers and M is the least upper bound of S. If p is a number such that p< M , then there is an x in S such that p < x < or = M. Then I picked an q in (p-d, x) and a t in (x, p+d) then I have p-d<q<x<t<p+d. That is where I am stuck. I need to show that the interval of (q,t) is above zero and then show that for [a,b].

1. What is the purpose of Analysis 2?

Analysis 2 is a branch of mathematics that focuses on understanding and solving problems related to integrals, which are mathematical expressions used to calculate areas and volumes. It is an important tool for various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are some common techniques used in Analysis 2 for solving integrals?

Some common techniques used in Analysis 2 for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These methods allow for the simplification and manipulation of integrals to make them easier to solve.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

Definite integrals have specific values for the upper and lower limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not have any limits. Definite integrals are used to find the exact value of an integral, while indefinite integrals are used to find the general solution of an integral.

4. How can I check if my integral solution is correct?

One way to check if your integral solution is correct is to take the derivative of your solution and see if it matches the original function. Additionally, you can use online integral calculators or plug your solution into a graphing calculator to visually see if it matches the original function.

5. What are some real-life applications of Analysis 2 and integrals?

Analysis 2 and integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating areas and volumes in engineering and physics, determining the average value of a function in economics, and analyzing population growth in biology. They are also used in various other fields, such as computer science, statistics, and finance.