Proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form

• Thread starter Misswfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, if a continuous function f on [a,b] has the property that \int(fg)dj = 0 for every continuous function g, then f(x) = 0 for each x in [a,b]. This can be proven using the contrapositive of the statement that if a continuous function on [a,b] has a positive value at some point, then the integral of the function over [a,b] will also be positive. By choosing a suitable function g(x), it is possible to show that this leads to a contradiction and therefore f(x) must be equal to 0 for every x in [a,b].
Misswfish
Suppose f is continuous function on [a,b] such that for each continuous function g, [tex]\int[/tex](fg)dj = 0 (Note: integral is from a to b) , then f(x) = 0 for each x in [a,b].

I know that I should use the theorem If is continuous on [a,b], f(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for each x in [a,b] and theree is a number p i n [a,b] such that f(p) > 0, THen [tex]\int[/tex]f dj > 0.

I just don't understand how they tie together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Misswfish said:
I know that I should use the theorem If is continuous on [a,b], f(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for each x in [a,b] and theree is a number p i n [a,b] such that f(p) > 0, THen [tex]\int[/tex]f dj > 0.

What is the contrapositive of this statement? It pretty much falls out of it.

Ahhh my teacher told me to pick a "clever" g(x) so that we can use this theorem and therefore f(x) = 0. I was thinking contradiction but my teacher shot that down

1. What is the concept of "Proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form"?

The concept of "Proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form" is a mathematical method used to show that a function has a value of zero for all values of x within a given interval, using the integral form of the function.

2. How is the proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form different from other proof methods?

The proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form is different from other proof methods because it involves using the properties of integrals and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to show that the function has a value of zero over the entire interval.

3. What are the advantages of using the integral form to prove f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b]?

Using the integral form to prove f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] has several advantages. Firstly, it provides a more direct and intuitive way to prove the statement. Additionally, it can often be more efficient and easier to understand compared to other proof methods.

4. Can the proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form be used for all functions?

The proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form can be used for a wide range of functions, including continuous and discontinuous functions, as long as the function satisfies the requirements of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

5. What are the common pitfalls to avoid when using the proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when using the proof of f(x)=0 for All x in [a,b] via Integral Form include incorrectly applying the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, not considering the properties of integrals, and not checking the endpoints of the interval to ensure that the function is continuous over the entire interval.