Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe: A Parent's Guide

• Thread starter Dumbmum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, a person has registered on a forum seeking help for their 6 year old son's questions about planets and galaxies. They ask how we know about millions of galaxies, how many stars exist, where the initial particle in the big bang came from, and where the gases and space dust came from. They also ask for a book recommendation and someone explains the concept of the expanding universe using a balloon analogy. They also provide a link to a website with visual aids.
Dumbmum
Hello,

I have registered here in the hope that someone can answer a couple of dumb questions! My 6 year old son is very interested in planets etc and i cannot answer some of his questions. If anyone is inclined to help me out I'd be so grateful.

1) How do we know that there are millions of galaxies when we cannot see or travel that far?
2) How can we estimate how many stars exsist in unexplored galaxies?
3) Suppose the big bang started with a single particle, where did that particle come from?
4) Something cannot just appear out of nothing, right? So where did the gases and space dust come from in the first place?

See just an old dummy here who needs a friendly scientist to help her out!

Thank you:smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1) Current telescopes (especially Hubble) can see lots of galaxies. There have been complete sky surveys.
2) Using the Hubble relationship (red shift to estimate distance) we can estimate the absolute brightness of galaxies, which can give an estimate of the number of stars.
3) Big unknown!
4) All stuff came out of the big bang.

Thank you! So can I be cheeky and ask another question?
If the universe is constantly expanding what is it expanding into? I cannot understand how , if nothing is beyond, how something can occupy a space that is not there.

Can you recommend a book that is somewhere between a childs book and something not-too-complicated that a non-physicisty type of person can understand?

Many thanks

Stephen Hawking's books, 'The Universe in a Nutshell' and 'A Brief History of Time' are both very to easy to read and very illustrated. They should be exactly what you're looking for.

On your question about what space is expanding into, it's not really expanding into anything. The Universe itself is expanding. The simplest way to describe is is the classic balloon filled with air analogy, but keep in mind this is a two dimensional model of a three dimensional (actually multidimensional) universe.

Imagine a very tiny balloon which is deflated (when the Universe was a singularity... a single point). Now, imagine that you started to pump up that balloon with air. Galaxies would begin to form on the surface of the balloon as dots... like markings on a balloon from a magic marker. Nothing is 'inside' of the balloon since that would be a three dimensional model. Anyway, as you begin to pump up the balloon more and more, the galaxies which were at one time very close together, are now starting to slowly move away from one another. The positions of the galaxies (in this analogy) stay in place, but the 'space' (surface) which the galaxies exist on is expanding and growing larger and larger, which gives them the appearance of drifting away from each other... when it's really the space itself which is expanding!

Here is a site with a few good pictures if I didn't explain it that well...
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/balloon0.html

And here's a Java applet...
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/Balloon2.html

Thank you very much for your answer. I really appreciate your help ln this! :smile:

1. What is "Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe"?

"Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe: A Parent's Guide" is a comprehensive guidebook that explains the latest scientific discoveries and theories about the universe in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. It is designed to help parents and their children learn about the universe together.

2. Who is this guidebook intended for?

This guidebook is intended for parents who want to learn more about the universe and share that knowledge with their children. It is also suitable for anyone who is interested in learning about the mysteries of the universe.

3. What topics are covered in this guidebook?

This guidebook covers a wide range of topics, including the Big Bang theory, the formation of galaxies and stars, the search for extraterrestrial life, and the concept of dark matter and dark energy. It also delves into the latest research and theories about the origins and evolution of the universe.

4. How is this guidebook different from other resources about the universe?

This guidebook is written specifically for parents and their children, making it a great resource for families who want to learn and explore the mysteries of the universe together. It presents complex scientific concepts in a simple and engaging way, making it accessible for readers of all ages.

5. Can this guidebook help me prepare my child for a future in science?

Yes, this guidebook can serve as a great introduction to the world of science for children. It provides a solid foundation of knowledge about the universe and can spark a child's interest and curiosity in science. It also includes fun activities and experiments that parents and children can do together to further explore the concepts presented in the book.