Maple vs Mathematica: Which is Right for You?

In summary: Maple is similar to Mathematica but has been improved in the past few years, and is typically used in schools, while Mathematica is more commonly used in research.
offtheleft
i have 'little' experience with mathematica and no experience with maple. anyone have any information on maple?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are pretty similair, both will do more than you will ever need (or understand!)
asking which to use is like coke/pepsi - probably better to base it on what your teachers/colleagues/department uses.

My experience with Maple is several years old, but I found it much less stable than Mathematica.

Maple circa the mid 1990's was not great. Current Maple is far better. However, I agree with mgb_phys that it is a nearly religious choice and the best way to make it is to see what the people you want to trade information with use.

"anyone have any information on maple? "

http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece250/Online/Maple/

They are similar but it is better to have a good knowledge of both.

I am Matlab!

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
"anyone have any information on maple? "

http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece250/Online/Maple/

They are similar but it is better to have a good knowledge of both.

I am Matlab!

matlab sent me a cd in the mail but for some reason I can't install it. I'm just going to get maple anyway. It only costs like two hundred dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
John_Phillips said:
Maple circa the mid 1990's was not great. Current Maple is far better.
My Maple experience was around 1996.

I would use what your classes use. If you take something that requires you to use one of these software packages during an exam, you are going to need to know all the proper syntax to make efficient use of your time.

I've never used maple, but I did use Mathematica on a daily basis in a couple of my past classes. I found it to be very versatile, but extremely picky and unhelpful when I had done something as simple as not capitalizing the first letter of a function. That said, it seems like the schools in my area use it extensively. I'm planning to pick up a student copy for myself... about $150 I believe. I will say that in both classes I never had it crash a single time.

1. What is the main difference between Maple and Mathematica?

The main difference between Maple and Mathematica is that Maple is primarily used for symbolic computations and mathematical modeling, while Mathematica is more versatile and can be used for a wider range of tasks, including data analysis, programming, and visualization.

2. Which software is better for beginners?

Maple is generally considered to be more user-friendly and easier to learn for beginners, as it has a simpler syntax and interface. However, Mathematica has a larger community and more comprehensive documentation, which can also be helpful for beginners.

3. Can both Maple and Mathematica handle complex mathematical equations?

Yes, both Maple and Mathematica are capable of handling complex mathematical equations and performing advanced symbolic computations. However, some users may find that one software is more efficient for certain types of equations or tasks.

4. Are there any notable differences in terms of performance between Maple and Mathematica?

While both Maple and Mathematica are powerful software with high-performance capabilities, there are some differences in terms of speed and efficiency. Mathematica is generally known for its faster execution and optimization, while Maple may have a steeper learning curve but can also offer faster solutions for certain types of equations.

5. Which software is more commonly used in the scientific community?

Both Maple and Mathematica are commonly used in the scientific community, and their popularity may vary depending on the specific field of study. Mathematica is more widely used in the fields of physics and engineering, while Maple is often preferred in mathematics and computer science. Ultimately, the choice between the two will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user.