Oral Defense: Was It Worth the Stress and Sleepless Nights?

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
In summary, a group of individuals congratulated someone on successfully defending their PhD research titled 'Investigation into Compactified Dimensions: Casimir Energies and Phenomenological Aspects'. The individual also mentioned their withdrawal symptoms and job hunting.
robousy
Just though I'd mention that I successfully defended my PhD research last week. The defense was titled 'Investigation into Compactified Dimensions: Casimir Energies and Phenomenological Aspects'.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
CONGRATULATIONS! High five!

Congrats Dr. Robousy! :biggrin: Party time!

CONGRATS!

You will get withdrawal symptoms soon as you are probably secretly addicted to the workload.

lol, thanks all! :)

Yes, I already have withdrawl symptons Jason. Its 11pm Sunday and I'm in my office. ha ha. Although I have good reason...JOB HUNTING! Arrrgggh.

Congratulations!

Congratulations and bonne chance!

robousy said:
Just though I'd mention that I successfully defended my PhD research last week.
Outstanding!
The defense was titled 'Investigation into Compactified Dimensions: Casimir Energies and Phenomenological Aspects'.
:bugeye: :wink:

Congrats.

Congratulations!

Congrats! Drink a beer for me :wink:

Last edited:
Congratulations. And good luck with job hunt!

Woo hoo!

Congratulations! :biggrin:

Congratulations!

I remember being ecstatic after mine, but only for 1 day. Very next day I got in a car accident ... just a fender bender, but it sure brought my mood back down to Earth.

Redbelly98 said:
Congratulations!

I remember being ecstatic after mine, but only for 1 day. Very next day I got in a car accident ... just a fender bender, but it sure brought my mood back down to Earth.

:bugeye: See what happens when they finally let you out of the lab and back into the real world?!

I remember having elaborate plans to party, and when it was all over, all I wanted to do was SLEEP!

1. What is an oral defense?

An oral defense is a formal presentation and discussion of a scientific research project or thesis. It is typically required as the final step in completing a graduate degree, and involves presenting the findings of your research to a panel of experts in your field.

2. How long does an oral defense typically last?

The length of an oral defense can vary, but it usually lasts between 1-2 hours. This includes a presentation of your research, followed by a question and answer session with the panel of experts.

3. What should I expect during an oral defense?

During an oral defense, you will be expected to give a presentation on your research, highlighting the key findings and conclusions. The panel of experts will then ask you questions and engage in a discussion about your research. They may also provide feedback and suggestions for future studies.

4. How should I prepare for an oral defense?

To prepare for an oral defense, you should thoroughly review and practice your presentation, as well as anticipate potential questions from the panel. It is also important to have a deep understanding of your research and be able to defend your findings and conclusions.

5. What are the common outcomes of an oral defense?

The common outcomes of an oral defense are passing with no revisions, passing with minor revisions, or failing. If you pass with minor revisions, you will typically be given a set amount of time to make the required changes before your final defense. If you fail, you may be given the opportunity to redo the defense at a later date.