Chinese Remainder Theorem

In summary, you are trying to solve a system of two equations. Using the CRT might help you solve the equations quickly, but that is not what you are after.
Bleys
This doesn't actually require the use of the CRT, since it actually wants you to sort of derive it for a system of two equations. So while using the CRT will help me solve this fairly quickly and easily, that's not what I'm after

Homework Statement

Let gcd(m,n)=1. Given integers a,b, show that it is possible to find an integer c such that
[tex]c\equiva(mod m)[/tex] and [tex]c\equivb(mod n)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

now, sm + tn = 1 for some integers s,t. It's obvious that
[tex]sm\equiv0(mod m)[/tex] and [tex]tn\equiv0(mod n)[/tex]

I know I'm suppose to use sm and tn as coefficients to combine a and b, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I've tried adding tn to get 1 == tn (mod m) but I'm not sure that's correct. And even if it is, I multiply by a or by b and can still not figure it out. I end up in circles and get c == a (mod m). -_- Can you lend me hand? Remember, don't give me the chinese remainder theorem, because that's not what the excercise is about.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's essentially a linear algebra problem -- your "vectors" are the two-tuples whose components are "value mod m" and "value mod n", and you seek to express a particular vector as an integer linear combination of the two vectors you have already considered.

I've tried adding tn to get 1 == tn (mod m) but I'm not sure that's correct.
Well, have you thought about how you might prove it? If not, can you explain why you think it might be true?

Bleys said:
Let gcd(m,n)=1. Given integers a,b, show that it is possible to find an integer c such that
[tex]c\equiva(mod m)[/tex] and [tex]c\equivb(mod n)[/tex]

Do you mean that you are trying to show that you can always find integer [itex]c[/itex] such that:

[tex]c \equiv a \quad (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex] and [tex]c \equiv b \quad (\text{mod} \; n)[/tex]

?

"Let gcd(m,n)=1. Given integers a,b, show that it is possible to find an integer c such that [itex]c (mod m)[/itex] and [itex]c (mod n)[/itex]" makes no sense. What is supposed to be true of [itex] c (mod m)[/itex] and [itex]c (mod m)[/itex]? That they are equal?

yes, gabbagabbahey, sorry that's what I meant:
[tex]c \equiv a \quad (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]
[tex]c \equiv b \quad (\text{mod} \; n)[/tex]

So since [tex]sm \equiv 0 (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex] then, I thought
[tex]tn + sm \equiv tn (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]
[tex]1 \equiv tn (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]

Bleys said:
So since [tex]sm \equiv 0 (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex] then, I thought
[tex]tn + sm \equiv tn (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]
[tex]1 \equiv tn (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]
Yes, this is definitely correct.

hmm, looking at it though, I don't think it would get me anywhere would it? Rather, the congruence also implies

[tex]tn \equiv 1 (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex] therefore
[tex]atn \equiv a (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]
and in the same way you can get

[tex]bsm \equiv b (\text{mod} \; n)[/tex]

then, can you say bsm + atn is congruent to both a (mod m) and b (mod n); hence that's the c I'm looking for?

Bleys said:
then, can you say bsm + atn is congruent to both a (mod m) and b (mod n); hence that's the c I'm looking for?
You seem hesitant to assert that -- what might be a problem? If you can indeed prove both of those congruences, it sounds like you've constructively shown the existence of such a c.

I guess I'm convinced; after all if you have
bsm + atn == a (mod m)
0 + atn == a (mod m)
and we've seen tn == 1 (mod m), so
a == a (mod m); similarly for bsm == b (mod n)

If I can ask another question;
What if gcd(m,n)=k for some k>1
Going through similar steps I obtain
[tex]atn \equiv ak (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]

I thought, you would need to obtain the inverse of k modulo m (assuming m is prime, and therefore the inverse exists). Let f be the inverse of k (mod m). Then
[tex]fatn \equiv fak (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]
[tex]fatn \equiv a (\text{mod} \; m)[/tex]

Similarly for bsm, you would obtain
[tex]bsm \equiv bk (\text{mod} \; n)[/tex]
[tex]gbsm \equiv gbk (\text{mod} \; n)[/tex] where g is the inverse of k (mod n)
[tex]gbsm \equiv b (\text{mod} \; n)[/tex]

Therefore our c = fatn + gbsm. Correct?
If either m or n, possibly both, are not prime, then you would you still have a solution for this only if the inverse of k exists for both (mod m) and (mod n). If it doesn't, then is the system not solvable?

I believe you know exactly when k, as defined, is invertible modulo m...

I believe it might be better to first work through the case where you have many different relatively prime moduli. Once you understand that, you can then reduce to it the case where you have two moduli that are not relatively prime.

Alternatively, you might first try to work out exactly when a single linear modular equation does and does not have a solution (and if it does, how many).

1. What is the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a mathematical concept that provides a method for solving a system of congruences, which are equations involving remainders. It states that if we have a set of pairwise relatively prime moduli (numbers) and a set of remainders, then there exists a unique solution that satisfies all of the congruences.

2. Who discovered the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem was first described in ancient Chinese mathematics texts, but was popularized in the Western world by French mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the late 18th century.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem has practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and coding theory. It is used in algorithms for efficient computation of large numbers, error-correcting codes, and secret sharing schemes.

4. Can the Chinese Remainder Theorem be extended to more than two equations?

Yes, the Chinese Remainder Theorem can be extended to any number of equations. In fact, the more equations we have, the more efficient the method becomes in finding the solution, as it reduces the number of computations needed.

5. What are the limitations of the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem can only be applied to a system of congruences where the moduli are pairwise relatively prime. If the moduli are not relatively prime, then there may not be a unique solution or the solution may not exist at all. Additionally, the Chinese Remainder Theorem only applies to integer solutions and cannot be used for non-integer problems.