Finding Velocity of a ball hitting a ball hanging from a string

In summary, in this problem we have a 20.0 gram ball fired horizontally at a 110 gram ball hanging from a string. The balls undergo a perfectly elastic collision, with the 110 gram ball swinging out to a maximum angle of 50.0 degrees. Using conservation of energy and the equation mv^2/2 = mgh, we can find the final velocity of the 110 gram ball to be approximately 2.775 m/s. Using this, we can then solve for the initial velocity, which is about 9.02 m/s.
jheld

Homework Statement

A 20.0 ball is fired horizontally with initial speed Vi toward a 110 g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.10 m -long string. The balls undergo a head-on, perfectly elastic collision, after which the 110 g ball swings out to a maximum angle theta = 50.0.

What was Vi?

Homework Equations

call ball mass .02 kg = A
call ball .11 kg = B
Avai + Bvbi = Avaf + Bvbf

Ki = Kf
(1/2)Avai^2 + (1/2)Bvbi^2 = (1/2)Avaf^2 + (1/2)Bvbf^2

vaf = (A - B)/(A + B) * vai

The Attempt at a Solution

vbi = 0 m/s
Bvbi = 0

Avai = -Avaf + Bvbf

vai = (A + B)/(A - B) * vaf

my problem is finding vaf, the final velocity of block A.

the final height y = L(1 - cos(theta)) = 1.1(1 - cos(50)) = .393 m

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the height the ball on the string went up to, so you know from conservation of energy and the m*g*h what the KE of the ball on the string was from the collision.

mv2/2 = m*g*h

Okay.

So, I find vbf = sqrt((2*g*h)), masses cancel out.
that gets me about 2.775 m/s

Vai = Vbf*(A + B)/2*A
which equals about 9.02 m/s.

and algebraically plugging it back into find vbf, I find that my answer is correct (at least for the previous work that I did).
thanks

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a ball hitting a ball hanging from a string?

To calculate the velocity of a ball hitting a ball hanging from a string, you will need to measure the height of the ball at two different points in time. Then, you can use the formula v = √(2gh) to find the velocity, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the change in height.

2. What equipment do you need to measure the velocity of a ball hitting a ball hanging from a string?

To measure the velocity of a ball hitting a ball hanging from a string, you will need a stopwatch or timer to measure the time, a ruler or measuring tape to measure the height, and the two balls and string set up as described in the experiment.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a ball hitting a ball hanging from a string?

The velocity of a ball hitting a ball hanging from a string can be affected by the mass of the ball, the length and tension of the string, air resistance, and the angle at which the ball is released.

4. How can you increase the accuracy of your velocity measurement?

To increase the accuracy of your velocity measurement, you can take multiple measurements and calculate the average velocity. You can also use a more precise measuring tool, such as a digital stopwatch or a ruler with smaller increments.

5. What other factors should be considered when conducting this experiment?

When conducting this experiment, it is important to consider the potential sources of error, such as human error in timing and measurement, and to control for these factors as much as possible. It is also important to conduct the experiment in a controlled environment to minimize the impact of external factors, such as wind or uneven surfaces, on the results.