How to run an iso off of restart without burning to disk

• Thread starter only_huce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary: MS site.In summary, the person is trying to install an iso of a program on their home desktop, but their desktop only has a CD-ROM drive and not a DVD-ROM drive. They are aware of using programs like daemontools to mount and run the iso, but are unsure of how to make it run on restart, especially when it's supposed to boot from the CD drive. They are looking for a way to bypass this issue, possibly by booting from a flash drive.
only_huce
I currently have an iso of a program inwhich I would like to install on my home desktop. However my home desktop only has a cd-rom drive and not a dvd room drive so I can't burn it to the disk. I know I can still mount and run it using a program such as daemontools however I don't know of a way to make the iso run on restart espicially when it's supposed to boot off the cd drive. Is there any way around it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not obviously, it's tricky to boot from an ISO image contained on a filesystem when the boot loaded doesn't have code to read that filesystem.
There might be linux+grub tricks to get around this - what are you trying to do?

Can your computer boot off a flash drive?

I'm pretty sure it can. Is there a way I can run the iso by booting off the flashdrive?

only_huce said:
I currently have an iso of a program inwhich I would like to install on my home desktop. However my home desktop only has a cd-rom drive and not a dvd room drive so I can't burn it to the disk. I know I can still mount and run it using a program such as daemontools however I don't know of a way to make the iso run on restart espicially when it's supposed to boot off the cd drive. Is there any way around it?

This sounds rather odd. What type of application would demand to be installed on restart?

The Windows 7 Beta iso

1. How do I run an ISO off of restart without burning it to a disk?

To run an ISO off of restart without burning it to a disk, you will need to use a virtual drive software such as Virtual CloneDrive or Daemon Tools. These programs create a virtual drive on your computer where you can mount the ISO file and run it as if it were a physical disk.

2. Can I run an ISO off of restart without burning it to a disk on a Mac computer?

Yes, there are virtual drive software options available for Mac computers such as VirtualBox and Parallels Desktop. These programs allow you to create a virtual machine where you can mount and run the ISO file.

3. Do I need a specific type of ISO file to run it off of restart without burning it to a disk?

No, you can use any type of ISO file to run it off of restart without burning it to a disk. However, some virtual drive software may have compatibility limitations, so it is best to check the program's requirements before attempting to run the ISO file.

4. Can I run an ISO off of restart without burning it to a disk on a computer with limited storage space?

Yes, virtual drive software allows you to mount and run the ISO file without actually storing the file on your computer. This can be a great option for those with limited storage space.

5. Is it possible to run an ISO off of restart without burning it to a disk on a computer without an optical drive?

Yes, virtual drive software eliminates the need for an optical drive to run an ISO file. This allows you to run the ISO on any computer or device that supports the virtual drive software.