Why Use mg vs mgh in Introductory Physics?

• Thread starter guitarman
  • Start date
In summary: When dealing with conservative forces, work can also be calculated as the negative change in potential energy. Therefore, mgh is used when dealing with potential energy and mg is used when dealing with kinetic energy in the context of intro physics 1 class. In summary, in an intro physics 1 class, mg is used when dealing with kinetic energy and mgh is used when dealing with potential energy, in accordance with the units of force and energy respectively.
guitarman
Can somebody please help me understand in which situations (for a intro physics 1 class) I would be required to use mg versus mgh? Neither my teacher nor my textbook have really gone into when you use which, rather they seem to arbitrarily use one, and I would like to understand why. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the units. mg is in units of force (kg m/s²), while mgh is in units of energy (kg m²/s²).

So do I use mgh when dealing with the energy principle and mg when using the momentum principle?

You do use mgh when dealing with energy.

What are the units of momentum? Do they match the units of mg?

Newton's second law states: F = m*a, in which a is the acceleration. In the case of gravitation, a = g = 9,1 m/s².

Work = W = F*s.
In case of gravitation, F = m*g, and s could be represented by h (height). The work done equals the change of potential energy. So potential energy U = W = mgh.

i thought work was the change in kinetic energy
and work is the integral of F*s

cragar said:
and work is the integral of F*s
1) Work can be the change in kinetic energy, but it doesn't have to be so. If a resultant force F would act on a car for a certain distance s, the work done would equal the change of kinetic energy: dT = W = Fs. But if you consider a weight that you want to lift up, you would need a force equal to the gravitational force (in opposite direction) to lift it to a certain height (h). In this case, the work done isn't converted into velocity (kinectic energy) but into height, thus potential energy.

Another, maybe an easier way of looking at the problem is as follows. Consider an object of mass m at a certain height h. The gravitational force Fg=mg acts on the object. The object accelerates until it hits the Earth (the mass will have velocity and thus kinetic energy). Because of conservation of energy, another ''kind'' of energy has lessened in order for the total change of energy to remain zero. This energy is the potential energy, and equals the work done by Fg.

2) [tex]W=\int{F\cdot ds}[/tex]

If F is constant, which is the case for gravitation (although not 100% accurate, since the force is less on a greater distance)

[tex]W=\int{F\cdot ds = F \int{ds} = F\cdot s[/tex]

Last edited:
how do u input the integral symbol in ur statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Work-done-by-a-force is the line-integral-of-F along a path.

Using Newton's Second Law, the net-work (work done by the net-force) is the change-in-the-kinetic-energy.

When there are conservative-forces doing work, one can define a potential energy function and then define that work as minus-the-change-in-potential-energy.

yes i understood your explanation , thanks

cragar said:

The net work done by all forces acting on an object equals the change in the object's KE.

1. What is the difference between mgh and mg?

The main difference between mgh and mg is that mgh stands for mass times gravity times height, while mg stands for mass times gravity. Mgh is a measurement of potential energy, while mg is a measurement of force.

2. When should I use mgh and when should I use mg?

You should use mgh when you want to calculate the potential energy of an object at a certain height, such as a ball on top of a hill. You should use mg when you want to calculate the force of gravity acting on an object, such as a book sitting on a table.

3. How do I know when to use mgh vs mg in a physics problem?

You can determine whether to use mgh or mg by looking at the given information in the problem. If the problem involves an object at a certain height, use mgh. If the problem involves calculating the force of gravity, use mg.

4. Can mgh and mg be used interchangeably?

No, mgh and mg cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different measurements and cannot be used to solve the same types of problems.

5. Why is it important to know when to use mgh vs mg in physics?

It is important to know when to use mgh vs mg in physics because using the wrong measurement can lead to incorrect calculations and results. This can affect the accuracy and validity of experiments and scientific theories.