Wigner Eckart theorem / Electric dipole

Expert Summarizer In summary, the Wigner-Eckart theorem states that for a vector operator, the matrix elements <j',m'|D|j,m> are proportional to the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient <j',m'|j,m> and the reduced matrix element <j'||D||j>. In the case of a spinless atom, the total angular momentum j is equal to the orbital angular momentum l, and therefore the only allowed matrix element is <l,m|D|l,m>, with all other combinations being equal to zero. This confirms the result that was asked to be proven in this problem.
anony

Homework Statement

The eletric dipole of the atom D = qR is a vector op, ie transforms according to j = 1 rep of SU(2). Use wigner eckart theorem show

<1, 0, 0|D|1, 0, 0> = 0

(<n',l',m'|D|n, l, m> = 0

Homework Equations

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Chemistry/5-73Fall-2005/BEE27FD3-DE39-468F-B7B7-2EB89C58B89D/0/sec9.pdf

Last equation on page 3, and that q + m = m' for the CG coefficients to be non zero

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so converting R to a spherical tensor T, T would be of rank 1 so k = 1, and q = -1, 0, 1. I'm incredibly confused as I've been reading from plenty of different sources. In my latest read I found that maybe q = -1, 0, 1 in the case where l = 1 and hence m = -1, 0, 1 (which they have labelled q), and so in the case where m = 0 (ie. here) then q = 0 only. But I'm relatively sure that its the former.

Anyway, for q = -1, 1, q + m = +-1 + 0 = hence for q = +-1, the CG coefficients are zero. But for q = 0, q + m = 0 + 0 = m' hence this should be a non zero coefficient? Then I tried to check the other requirement:
|j - k| <= j' <= j + k

But I don't know what j'/j is? j is meant to be the total angular momentum right? We are told j = 1 in the problem, but then what's j'? or is j' =1? arghhhh!

Help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:
so, in some problems I see they've had j -> l, j' -> l'?

In that case,
|0-1| <= 0 <= 1 => 1 <= 0 not true, so that they are all zero coefficients and no need to faff about with q+m = m'?

Ah, I should have mentioned this is a spinless atom. so j = l + s right? and since l = 0, j = j' = 0, and hence its as I showed in my last edit right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post regarding the electric dipole of the atom. To answer your question, let's first review the Wigner-Eckart theorem. This theorem states that for a vector operator, the matrix elements <j',m'|D|j,m> are proportional to the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient <j',m'|j,m> and the reduced matrix element <j'||D||j>, where j' and j are the total angular momenta of the initial and final states, and m' and m are their respective magnetic quantum numbers.

In the case of a spinless atom, the total angular momentum j is equal to the orbital angular momentum l. Therefore, j' and j are both equal to l, and the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient <l',m'|l,m> will be non-zero only when l' = l and m' = m. This means that the only allowed matrix element is <l,m|D|l,m>, and any other combination will be equal to zero.

In your problem, j = j' = 1, which corresponds to l = l' = 1. Therefore, the only non-zero matrix element will be <1,0|D|1,0>, and all other combinations will be equal to zero. This confirms the result that you were asked to prove, <1,0,0|D|1,0,0> = 0.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the Wigner-Eckart theorem and its application to the electric dipole of the atom. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is the Wigner Eckart theorem?

The Wigner Eckart theorem is a mathematical theorem that describes the selection rules for the matrix elements of a quantum mechanical operator, such as an electric dipole moment operator, between states of different total angular momentum. It provides a way to simplify the calculation of these matrix elements by reducing the number of non-zero elements that need to be evaluated.

2. How does the Wigner Eckart theorem relate to electric dipole moments?

The Wigner Eckart theorem is often used in the context of electric dipole moments because it allows for a simplification of the calculation of the matrix elements of the electric dipole moment operator. This is because the electric dipole moment operator is related to the total angular momentum operator, and the Wigner Eckart theorem provides selection rules for the matrix elements of the total angular momentum operator.

3. What are the selection rules for the Wigner Eckart theorem?

The selection rules for the Wigner Eckart theorem state that for a matrix element to be non-zero, the states involved must have the same total angular momentum and the same projection of total angular momentum. Additionally, the change in the projection of total angular momentum must be either 0 or ±1.

4. How is the Wigner Eckart theorem used in practical applications?

The Wigner Eckart theorem is used in practical applications, such as in the calculation of electric dipole moments in atoms and molecules. It allows for a simplification of the calculation process and reduces the number of matrix elements that need to be evaluated, making the calculations more efficient and accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to the Wigner Eckart theorem?

While the Wigner Eckart theorem is a useful tool in simplifying calculations, it does have some limitations. It only applies to systems with spherical symmetry, and it does not take into account the effects of spin. Additionally, it is limited to systems with two or more particles and does not apply to single particle systems.