Is Graduate School the Right Path for Me?

In summary: At my school each of these classes were one semester long. Stat mech was 3 credits, and the others were 4. So that makes 15 credits. At most schools (including where I go to grad school), these classes tend to be split up between two semesters. But I guess this means that you can take two at once, i.e. classical and E&M can be taken concurrently. Either way, you're probably lookin at 12 to 14 credits. Nothing you can't do if you've still got a year left before graduation.As long as you meet the minimum requirements (usually bachelor's degree in the subject, GRE score, letters of recommendation, etc.), most universities will
Gear300
I have a couple of questions about graduate school:
-Does focusing on a subject in graduate school require a major in the subject? (my major will stick with what I'll be focusing on...I'm just curious) - If it doesn't, then what are the necessities for entering graduate school for that particular field?
-Do they pay for graduate tuition while under assistant-ship?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some graduate programs (MBA, MLS) can be entered from any major. Some (most humanities subjects) require some background (writing, languages) but no specific major. And some (math, science, engineering) require significant background in the field to the point where if you didn't major in the subject you'll be very unprepared for graduate study in that subject. Physics is one of those fields. But you can sometimes catch up - some grad schools will let you take undergrad courses your first year if you're missing a substantial part of your physics education but still appear to be a promising applicant.

Yes, grad schools will waive your tuition and pay you a small stipend while on an assistantship.

eri said:
Some graduate programs (MBA, MLS) can be entered from any major. Some (most humanities subjects) require some background (writing, languages) but no specific major. And some (math, science, engineering) require significant background in the field to the point where if you didn't major in the subject you'll be very unprepared for graduate study in that subject. Physics is one of those fields. But you can sometimes catch up - some grad schools will let you take undergrad courses your first year if you're missing a substantial part of your physics education but still appear to be a promising applicant.

Yes, grad schools will waive your tuition and pay you a small stipend while on an assistantship.

Thanks for the reply. In the case of physics, there would be a minimum number of courses one would have to take, right?

Gear300 said:
Thanks for the reply. In the case of physics, there would be a minimum number of courses one would have to take, right?

Advanced undergrad courses in classical mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics form the backbone of any undergrad education in physics. If you've taken at least three out of these four, then you should be good. Granted, you might need to take some undergrad courses your first year to play catch-up, but that's certainly not unheard of.

For grad school in biology the requirements are a little bit more relaxed. I know many people with math, engineering, chemistry, or physics undergrad degrees who are now in biology graduate programs. Many, but not all, did take a good number of biology courses during their undergrad, however.

Again, thanks for the replies.

arunma said:
Advanced undergrad courses in classical mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics form the backbone of any undergrad education in physics. If you've taken at least three out of these four, then you should be good. Granted, you might need to take some undergrad courses your first year to play catch-up, but that's certainly not unheard of.

How many credit hours would that be in total.

Gear300 said:
Again, thanks for the replies.

How many credit hours would that be in total.

At my school each of these classes were one semester long. Stat mech was 3 credits, and the others were 4. So that makes 15 credits. At most schools (including where I go to grad school), these classes tend to be split up between two semesters. But I guess this means that you can take two at once, i.e. classical and E&M can be taken concurrently. Either way, you're probably lookin at 12 to 14 credits. Nothing you can't do if you've still got a year left before graduation.

I see...it doesn't seem too hard to qualify for a graduate program...but is this only to qualify? Other than qualifications, I would take the guess that certain universities would demand more than just the minimum (due to competition), right?

What is graduate school?

Graduate school is a higher education program that offers advanced degrees such as Master's or Doctoral degrees in various fields of study.

Why should I attend graduate school?

Attending graduate school can provide you with specialized knowledge and skills that can enhance your career opportunities and earning potential. It also offers the opportunity to conduct research in your field of interest and network with professionals in your field.

How long does graduate school typically take?

The length of graduate school can vary depending on the program and degree pursued. On average, Master's programs take 1-2 years to complete, while Doctoral programs can take 3-7 years.

What are the requirements for applying to graduate school?

The requirements for graduate school can vary, but typically include a completed Bachelor's degree, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT), and a personal statement or essay. Some programs may also require relevant work experience.

What is the difference between a Master's and Doctoral degree?

A Master's degree is a graduate-level degree that focuses on a specific area of study and typically takes 1-2 years to complete. A Doctoral degree, also known as a PhD, is a more advanced degree that involves conducting original research in a specific field and can take 3-7 years to complete. Doctoral degrees are often required for careers in academia or research.