Using e=mc^2 to calculate electrical properties

In summary: The "time" factor in your original question is the "result".The "time" factor in your original question is the "result".
gillies
from rearranging e=mc^2 i got time equivalent to (kg m^2/(A V) (kilogram meter squared per ampere volt))^(1/3)

so if i have a material that is 1kg, 1m long, has 1amp, and 1volt, what does the time attribute mean? is that the amount of time it takes an electron to travel from one end of the object to the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rearranging units randomly in this fashion is meaningless. Where do you even get the 't' from? the speed of light?

Last edited:
That's not re-arranging equations, it is rearranging units! You can rearrange equations - you can't rearrange units.

But Russ, I did say units... *whistles innocently*

_why_ can't you do that though? Obviously that cluster of units together has some sort of significance. For some reason 1 (kg m^2/(A V) (kilogram meter squared per ampere volt))^(1/3) is equal to 1 second. All I am wondering is why?

gillies said:
_why_ can't you do that though? Obviously that cluster of units together has some sort of significance. For some reason 1 (kg m^2/(A V) (kilogram meter squared per ampere volt))^(1/3) is equal to 1 second. All I am wondering is why?

Because this is physics, not mathematics.

Each of those quantities have a physical significance. You can't simply manipulate those symbols without understanding the physics behind those manipulation. If you do that, you'll get absurd results.

For example, look at the units for torque, and for work done. If you simply put blinders on and forget about the physical meaning of each of those, and pay attention only to their dimensions, you'll think that they are the same thing. They are not.

Zz.

Who said those were absurd results? that seems like its a perfectly normal result. I guess my question is, what _are_ the physics behind that equation?

gillies said:
Who said those were absurd results? that seems like its a perfectly normal result.

The "time" factor in your original question is the "result".

I guess my question is, what _are_ the physics behind that equation?

Maybe you should have asked that first, and then, after understanding that, go on to the next step. Without that first step, you risk doing something based on either faulty or incomplete knowledge.

E=mc^2 has been discussed ad nauseum on here (look in either the Quantum Physics or the Relativity forums), and in many reputable websites. Try starting there first and see if there is anything you do not understand that we can try to clarify on here. That's the best way to learn something new, which is to try and understand it yourself first and then get some help in figuring out what you find puzzling or confusing.

Zz.

gillies said:
Who said those were absurd results?
Everyone who has responded so far!
that seems like its a perfectly normal result.
If it were a normal result, then the question would not need to be asked.
I guess my question is, what _are_ the physics behind that equation?
I'm sorry, but as already said, there are none.

Yes, you have to know what the equation means. Think about a blind treatment in this fashion. The energy an object has is [tex]E = \frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]. Oh but the energy is also [tex]E = mc^2[/tex]. So does [tex] c^2 = \frac{v^2}{2}[/tex] mean anything?

does it? I mean they have to have _some_ sort of significance together otherwise we would never end up in that combination.

1. How does the equation e=mc^2 relate to electrical properties?

The equation e=mc^2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, describes the relationship between mass (m) and energy (e). It states that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted from one form to another. This concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of electricity, as it explains how energy can be produced and transferred through electrical systems.

2. Can e=mc^2 be used to calculate electrical properties?

Yes, e=mc^2 can be used to calculate electrical properties such as energy, voltage, and current. This equation allows us to convert between mass and energy units, which are the building blocks of electrical systems. By understanding the relationship between mass and energy, we can accurately calculate the electrical properties of a system.

3. What units are used in e=mc^2 when calculating electrical properties?

In e=mc^2, the units for mass (m) are typically measured in kilograms (kg), and the units for energy (e) are measured in joules (J). However, in some cases, other units such as electron-volts (eV) may also be used, depending on the specific application.

4. How does e=mc^2 impact the design and function of electrical systems?

The equation e=mc^2 plays a crucial role in the design and function of electrical systems. It helps us understand the amount of energy that can be produced and transferred through a system based on its mass. This knowledge is essential in designing efficient and effective electrical systems, such as power plants, batteries, and circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using e=mc^2 to calculate electrical properties?

While e=mc^2 is a fundamental equation in understanding the behavior of electricity, it does have limitations. This equation only applies to objects moving at or near the speed of light, and it does not account for other factors such as resistance and capacitance in electrical systems. It is crucial to use this equation in conjunction with other principles and equations to accurately calculate electrical properties.