Solving the Spring Launcher Puzzle: Making it Work at Different Heights

In summary: Your fellow forum member.In summary, the forum poster has designed a successful spring launcher and is now facing a dilemma of determining the proper angle or displacement to use when launching the spring at a target that is not on the same level as the launch. They have tried manipulating equations, but have not been successful. They are seeking help from others and have been provided with a formula that takes into account the target's vertical displacement. It is suggested to conduct experiments to fine-tune the calculations for the best accuracy.
umfff
I have designed a spring launcher for my class and it works really well using the range equation...x=sqrt(Rmg/KSin2(Theta)). So I have made a contraption that displaces the spring by x metres. I even have re-arranged and have it working using angles of launch and determining the range (R). Both work great.

Here is my dilemma, I am having issues figuring out the proper angle (or displacement) to use when the spring does not land on the same level as the launch...i.e. either higher or lower in a target basket. I am having a hard time figuring out how to manipulate the equations to include the height. I have tried manipulating the equation from http://www.mwit.ac.th/~Physicslab/hbase/traj.html#tra8" but to no avail.

• x = how far you pull the spring back in meters
• R = range: how far you want the spring to go in meters
• m = mass of the spring in Kg
• g = acceleration of gravity 9.8 m/s/s
• K = spring constant in Newtons / meter
• Theta = angle of launcher from horizontal

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your spring launcher design with us. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into creating a successful contraption.

In regards to your dilemma, I understand that you are having trouble determining the proper angle or displacement to use when launching the spring at a target that is not on the same level as the launch. This is a common issue when trying to apply equations to real-world situations.

To incorporate the height into your range equation, you can use the following formula:

R = x + (tan θ)x - (1/2)(g)(x^2/v^2)(1 + (tan θ)^2)

Where:
• x is the horizontal displacement
• θ is the angle of launch
• v is the initial velocity of the spring
• g is the acceleration due to gravity

This formula takes into account the vertical displacement of the target and adjusts the range accordingly. You can also rearrange this equation to solve for the angle of launch if you know the other variables.

I hope this helps you with your calculations. Keep in mind that there may be some factors that can affect the accuracy of your results, such as air resistance and the weight of the target. It may be helpful to conduct some experiments to fine-tune your calculations and ensure the best accuracy.

Best of luck with your spring launcher and future experiments.

1. How do I adjust the spring launcher for different heights?

To adjust the spring launcher for different heights, you will need to change the angle of the launcher. The higher the angle, the higher the launch will be. You can also adjust the tension of the spring by tightening or loosening the spring adjuster. This will also affect the launch height.

2. What is the best angle for the spring launcher?

The best angle for the spring launcher will depend on the specific launcher and the height you want to achieve. In general, a 45 degree angle is a good starting point for most launchers. However, you may need to adjust the angle based on your specific setup and desired launch height.

3. How do I ensure the spring launcher stays in place at different heights?

To ensure the spring launcher stays in place at different heights, make sure it is securely attached to a stable surface. You may also want to use weights or clamps to keep it in place. It is important to regularly check that the launcher is still securely in place, especially if you are adjusting the height frequently.

4. Can I use different types of springs for the launcher?

Yes, you can use different types of springs for the launcher. However, keep in mind that the type and tension of the spring will affect the launch height. It is important to test and adjust the launcher with different types of springs to find the best fit for your desired launch height.

5. How do I troubleshoot if the spring launcher is not working at different heights?

If the spring launcher is not working at different heights, first check that it is securely attached and the spring is properly tensioned. You may also need to adjust the angle or try a different type of spring. If the issue persists, it may be a problem with the launcher itself and you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.