String Theorists Finally Admit Defeat

• Thread starter nitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary: .. just joined this forum..i have to admit it nearly got me when it came to my awareness a couple of days after it went online..
nitin
"String Theorists Finally Admit Defeat"!

Hi all
Just came across this link:
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/archives/000009.html
The page starts with excerpts of an interview of Ed Witten by a NYT reporter named James Glanz. It contains very interesting remarks made by Witten that apparently caused turmoil in string circles across the globe... Can anybody verify the authenticity of this article (it is from the Columbia Uni web news archives) ? Puzzling.. I haven't heard words about this..
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
woah, that is interesting, I hope that it is not real

witten gives up on string theoy
he created it practically

I advise that anyone reading that article should look at the date at the top first.

That posted link is old news, nothing settle yet :smile:

Typical cultural problem. The Anglo-saxon fool's day, 1st April, corresponds to other countries 28th December, "Dia de los Inocentes".

Alejandro, I don't know anything definite but a Quantum Gravity forum might be set up somewhere. Would you be willing to volunteer some time mentoring---it is the 'camp counsellor' role that someone needs to do, if there eventually is such a board

the spanish name is more indirect and amusing than april-fools
but the english name is more explicit

but how horrible to think of Herod soldiers killing infants
one should move the "dia de los inocentes" to april, which
is a good time for foolery, and forget the 28december massacre

Last edited:
:)
Nice to see that people are not really sleeping there.. hehe..
It was a good one.. just joined this forum.. i have to admit it nearly got me when it came to my awareness a couple of days after it went online..
String still going strong guys! hehe

marcus said:
Alejandro, I don't know anything definite but a Quantum Gravity forum might be set up somewhere. Would you be willing to volunteer some time mentoring---it is the 'camp counsellor' role that someone needs to do, if there eventually is such a board
Marcus, I have just finished my examination tasks and I am crossing with the ferry to Salerno (say, Vietri, Amalfi and all that) Monday, I will be back by end of september. So no decision until then, for me. In principle I have some time for such mentoring, but in deep I do not see why a new forum is needed; this one fits very exactly the role.

That was great. Had me for a while. HEHE.

Paden Roder

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
woah
that honestly scared me for the ten minutes i started to read it
i was a little skeptical at the part about witten changing into biology

however
that was a good one

What is "String Theorists Finally Admit Defeat"?

"String Theorists Finally Admit Defeat" refers to a controversial article that claims scientists working on string theory have come to the realization that the theory may not be able to fully explain the fundamental laws of the universe.

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) by describing the universe in terms of tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

Why is the article causing such a stir?

The article is causing controversy because string theory has long been considered a promising candidate for a "theory of everything" and has been heavily researched and supported by many scientists. The idea that it may not be able to fully explain the universe is a significant blow to the theory and could potentially change the direction of future research.

What evidence supports the claims made in the article?

The article cites several prominent physicists and researchers who have expressed doubts and criticisms about string theory. It also discusses recent experiments and observations that have failed to provide evidence for the predictions of string theory.

What does this mean for the future of string theory?

While the article may suggest that string theory is facing defeat, it is important to note that science is a constantly evolving field and theories are always subject to change and improvement. Some scientists still believe that string theory has potential and will continue to research and refine it. Others may shift their focus to alternative theories. Ultimately, the impact on the future of string theory remains to be seen.