Inertial reference frames problem

In summary, the problem asks for a solution that does not use an inertial reference frame, but the answer given is that it cannot be done because all motion is relative.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

An example of an inertial reference frame is:
A. any reference frame that is not accelerating
B. a frame attached to a particle on which there are no forces
C. any reference frame that is at rest
D. a reference frame attached to the center of the universe
E. a reference frame attached to Earth

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't really a homework problem because the answer is given to me as B. I guess that makes sense. If there are no forces on an object, then it will move with constant velocity and thus, must be an inertial reference frame.

But I'm not clear as to why the answer can't be A or C. Is it because the idea of a frame of reference is relative and the ideas of "at rest" and "not accelerating" aren't defined within a given frame of reference?

I think I'm confused on this whole idea of inertial reference frames. If anyone has some insight that can help me, that would be great. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:
This isn't really a homework problem because the answer is given to me as B. I guess that makes sense. If there are no forces on an object, then it will move with constant velocity and thus, must be an inertial reference frame.

But I'm not clear as to why the answer can't be A or C. Is it because the idea of a frame of reference is relative and the ideas of "at rest" and "not accelerating" aren't defined within a given frame of reference?
That's the only reasoning I can think of by which you can conclude that answers A and C are incorrect but that B is. The idea would be that all motion is relative, so "at rest" and "not accelerating" would have to be defined with respect to some other reference frame. If the other reference frame is non-inertial, then being at rest (or being "not accelerating") with respect to that reference frame also puts you in a non-inertial frame.

Honestly, I think this is a badly written question, and it's more likely to just confuse you than to test your understanding of anything.

For future reference, by the way, the standard definition of an inertial reference frame is one in which the law of inertia applies: an object subject to no external forces moves with a constant velocity. As far as anyone knows, this is equivalent to saying that an inertial reference frame is one in which Newton's second law (ΣF=ma) holds.

Hey thanks a lot for the quick response. I appreciate it.

1. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. In other words, a frame of reference in which an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does an inertial reference frame differ from a non-inertial reference frame?

A non-inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which Newton's laws of motion do not hold true. This can be due to the frame of reference itself being in motion or undergoing acceleration. In contrast, an inertial reference frame remains stationary or moves at a constant velocity.

3. Why is it important to use an inertial reference frame in scientific experiments?

Using an inertial reference frame allows for consistent and accurate measurements in scientific experiments. This is because the laws of motion are constant and predictable in an inertial frame, making it easier to analyze and interpret data.

4. How can one determine if a reference frame is inertial?

A reference frame can be considered inertial if an object at rest remains at rest and an object in motion continues to move at a constant velocity, without any external forces acting upon it. Additionally, if the laws of motion hold true in the frame of reference, it can be considered inertial.

5. What are some examples of inertial reference frames?

An example of an inertial reference frame is a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road. Another example is a person standing still on the surface of the Earth. In both cases, the objects are not experiencing any external forces and are in an inertial frame of reference.