Complex Analysis: Harmonic Conjugates

In summary, the student is trying to solve for v, but is having difficulty doing so. They have found that u=\frac {e^{-y+ix}(y-ix)+e^{-y-ix}(y+ix)}{2} which simplified to u=\frac {e^{-y+ix}(y-ix)+e^{-y-ix}(y+ix)} {2i} when integrated with respect to y. However, they are having trouble simplifying u to the point of easy differentiation. They think that v should simplify more, but cannot seem to find a straightforward procedure for doing so.
AUGTRON

Homework Statement

For [tex]u(x,y)=e^{-y}(x\sin(x)+y\cos(x))[/tex] find a harmonic conjugate [tex]v(x,y)[/tex] and express the analytic function [tex]f=u +iv[/tex] as a function of z alone (where [tex]z=x+iy[/tex]0

Homework Equations

The Cauchy Riemann equations [tex]u_x=v_y[/tex] and [tex]u_y=-v_x[/tex]
and possibly:
[tex]sin(x) = \frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]
[tex]cos(x) = \frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been toying around with algebra and I've been able to reduce up to [tex]u=\frac {e^{-y+ix}(y-ix)+e^{-y-ix}(y+ix)}{2}[/tex] but I can't get past here. I have also noted that if I divide by i, u(x,y) becomes u(y,-x) so I can replace these variables and I have [tex] u/i = e^{x}(y\sin(y)-x\cos(y)[/tex] which is, as someone on another forum pointed out, the real part of [tex]-ze^{z}[/tex]. So I suppose I could write [tex]f=Re(-ze^{iz})i + iv[/tex] no?
But how should I go about finding v? I am familiar with the straightforward procedure of finding u_x, integrating w.r.t v, then finding v_x and setting it equal to u_y... but I can't seem to simplify u to the point of easy differentiation. I don't know if I should just try to brute force it, or if that's even possible. It seems like u should simplify more.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not change the sine and cosine to exponentials, although you certainly can do so.

With [itex]v(x,y)= e^{-y}(x sin(x)- y cos(x))[/itex], [itex]v_x= e^{-y}(sin(x)+ y cos(x))+ y sin(x))[/itex] and [itex]v_y= -e^{-y}(x sin(x)- y cos(x))+ e^{-y}(-cos(x))[/itex]

Now you must find u(x,y) such that
[tex]u_x= v_y= -e^{-y}(x sin(x)- y cos(x))+ e^{-y}(-cos(x))[/tex]
and
[tex]u_y= -v_x= -e^{-y}(sin(x)+ y cos(x))- y sin(x))[/itex]

Integrate either of those equations with respect to the appropriate variable, remembering that the "constant" of integration may be a function of the other variable, then put that into the other equation to find that function.

Great. I guess the integration wasn't as bad as I thought. Your algebra is a bit off because you wrote down a different u(x,y) than I had.

Using [tex]u(x,y)=e^{-y}(x\sin(x)+y\cos(x)[/tex] I came up with
v(x,y) = e^{-y}(ysin(x)-xcos(x)).

Now my question is how to put this in terms of z only. I think I have a THM I can use: http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/IdentityTheoremOfHolomorphicFunctions.html" . So if I have f(u,v) = e^{-y}(xsin(x)+ycos(x) +i(e^{-y}(ysin(x)-xcos(x)) can I say that some function g(z) is equal to f(z) along the iy axis of the complex plane (i.e. where x=o). Then f(z)=g(z) for all complex numbers. So f(z)=g(0+iy) ---> f(z)=ye^{-y}?

Sorry about the formatting, Latex is giving me trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of harmonic conjugates in complex analysis?

Harmonic conjugates are pairs of complex-valued functions that are related to each other by the Cauchy-Riemann equations. In simpler terms, they are functions that are "conjugates" of each other in the sense that their real and imaginary parts are related in a specific way.

2. How are harmonic conjugates useful in complex analysis?

Harmonic conjugates are useful in solving problems involving harmonic functions, which are functions that satisfy Laplace's equation. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that deal with differential equations and vector fields.

3. Can you give an example of a harmonic conjugate pair?

One example of a harmonic conjugate pair is the functions u(x,y) = x^2 - y^2 and v(x,y) = 2xy. These functions satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations and are therefore harmonic conjugates of each other.

4. How are harmonic conjugates related to conformal mappings?

Harmonic conjugates play a crucial role in the theory of conformal mappings, which are transformations that preserve angles locally. In particular, a holomorphic function (a complex function that satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations) can be represented as a combination of a harmonic function and its harmonic conjugate through the use of the Cauchy integral formula.

5. What is the significance of harmonic conjugates in the study of complex numbers?

The study of harmonic conjugates is important in complex analysis because it allows us to extend real-valued functions to the complex plane and to define new functions that have useful properties. In addition, harmonic conjugates are closely connected to important concepts such as analyticity, conformality, and the Cauchy integral formula.