Solve linear system using augmented matrix

In summary, rock.freak667 found that clearing the first column by dividing by 3, then subtracting 2x that row from the second row, then subtracting 5x the new row from the third row, gets rid of all the zeroes in the first column.
merzperson

Homework Statement

Solve using an augmented matrix:

3r-2s+4t=6
2r+3s-5t=-8
5r-4s+3t=7

2. The attempt at a solution

[3 -2 4 | 6] => [1 0 0 | x]
[2 3 -5 |-8] => [0 1 0 | y]
[5 -4 3 | 7] => [0 0 1 | z]

I have successfully used 2x2 augmented matrices, but with 3x3 it seems like there are a bunch of different options and each one just messes up everything I did to get a zero or one in the right spot. I'm not sure if there is a default starting point with these or you are looking for something to cancel to a zero or what. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the main diagonal as your pivot points i.e. use that row to make the other rows zero. Ex. take the 3 in the first row to make the other two elements below it zero. Repeat with the 3 in the second row and so on.

Thanks rock.freak667, I have followed your directions and that helped a lot. However, I seem to be going wrong somewhere. I solved the system of equations using software and got r=1.376E-14 , s=-1 , t=1 . When I solved using the matrix I get some fractional numbers (z=63/23). I was extra careful and double-checked all my numbers. Am I wrong?

merzperson said:
Thanks rock.freak667, I have followed your directions and that helped a lot. However, I seem to be going wrong somewhere. I solved the system of equations using software and got r=1.376E-14 , s=-1 , t=1 . When I solved using the matrix I get some fractional numbers (z=63/23). I was extra careful and double-checked all my numbers. Am I wrong?

Could you post all your working with the augmented matrix?

Work one column at a time, left to right. For example, to "clear" the first column, divide the entire row by "3", to get a 1 in the first column, first row.
Then subtract 2 times that new first row from the second row to get a "0" in the first column second row. Finally, subtract 5 times the new first row from the third row to get a "0" in the first column third row.

Then look at the second row. Since the "pivot" of the second row is in the second column, divide that row by whatever number is in second row, second column to get a "1" there. Because that number is now "1" to get a "0" in the second column of another row, just subtract the new second row times what ever number is in the second column of that row. Notice that, because you will always have "0" to the left of the pivot, you will never change the "1"s and "0" you already have there.

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a set of linear equations that have the same variables and must be solved simultaneously. Each equation represents a line in a coordinate plane and the solution to the system is the point where all the lines intersect.

2. What is an augmented matrix?

An augmented matrix is a representation of a linear system in the form of a rectangular array. It includes the coefficients of the variables from each equation, as well as a column for the constants. This matrix is used to perform operations and solve the system.

3. How do I create an augmented matrix?

To create an augmented matrix, you first need to write out the equations of the linear system. Then, list the coefficients of each variable in the same order for each equation. Finally, add a column for the constants. Your matrix should have one row for each equation and one column for each variable plus one for the constants.

4. What are the steps for solving a linear system using an augmented matrix?

The steps for solving a linear system using an augmented matrix are as follows:

1. Write out the equations of the linear system.
  2. Create the augmented matrix.
  3. Use row operations to transform the matrix into row-echelon form.
  4. Use back-substitution to find the values of the variables.
  5. Check the solution by plugging the values into the original equations.

5. Can I use an augmented matrix to solve any type of linear system?

Yes, an augmented matrix can be used to solve any type of linear system, including systems with two or more variables and equations. However, the matrix may not always be the most efficient method of solving, so it is important to consider other methods as well.