Rotation of coordinate system in minkowsky spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of rotating the usual coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime and the constraints imposed by the Lorentz transformations. It is noted that the Lorentz transformations are hyperbolic rotations and do not follow the same rules as regular rotations due to the weird metric of Minkowski spacetime. The Lorentz group is also mentioned, which includes rotations, boosts, translations, and the identity transform. It is noted that these elements are not necessarily pure rotations or boosts and can be a combination.
teddd
Does performing a rotation of the usual coordinate system [itex]ct,x[/itex] in the minkowsky spacetime makes sense?

I guess it doesn't, but more than this i think that there is something that forbids it, since i could make coincident the 'lenght' axis of the non rotated coordinate system (observer A) with the 'time' axis of the rotated coordinate system (observer B), and that seems ridiculous to me (but you never know..)!

From this I suppose that the Lorentz trasformations has to have some particular costraint, so I checked the propriety of the Lorentz group (to which they all belong) but i couldn't see it!

Can you help me??

Physics news on Phys.org
In space, you can rotate the axes using a transformation
[tex]x' = x \, \cos \theta - y \, \sin \theta[/tex][tex]y' = x \, \sin \theta + y \, \cos \theta[/tex]
and this preserves the metric
[tex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/tex]
You can't apply the above rotation to (ct,x) coordinates to get an inertial frame, but you can apply the transformation
[tex]ct' = ct \, \cosh \phi - x \, \sinh \phi [/tex][tex]x' = -ct \, \sinh \phi + x \, \cosh \phi [/tex]
We can call this a "hyperbolic rotation". Note this is actually nothing more or less than a Lorentz transformation with [itex] v = c \, \tanh \phi [/itex] and [itex] \gamma = \cosh \phi [/itex], and which preserves the metric
[tex]ds^2 = c^2 \, dt^2 - dx^2[/tex]

The Lorentz Transformations are in fact rotations in 4-D Minkowsky space-time. The Lorentz transforms are constrained by the fact that v<c. However, because of the weird metric (+,-,-,-) or (-,+,+,+), the rotations are described by hyperbolic functions rather than regular trigonometric functions, and the constraint v<c does not impose a restriction on the "angle of rotation". But, also because of the weird metric, one cannot make the analogy of this "rotation" by simply expanding the 3-D rotation that we are used to. From the form of the Lorentz transforms themselves, it is obvious that no matter what value for v we plug in, we can never get t'=x or x'=t. In that sense, we can't actually rotate the t-axis onto the x-axis or vice-versa, even though we can rotate through an "infinite" angle.

For example, we have for some rotation angle (in the (ct,x) plane):

[tex] x=x'\cosh(\psi)+ct'\sinh(\psi)[/tex]
[tex] ct=x'\sinh(\psi)+ct'\cosh(\psi)[/tex]
for
[tex]\tanh(\psi)=\frac{v}{c}[/tex]

Nowhere does cosh(x) approach 0, so we can never get rid of the x' term in x, or the ct' term in ct (obviously we can get rid of the ct' term in x and vice versa for a velocity of 0).

All this weirdness occurs due to the weird - sign that is present in the metric.

Thanks a lot pals!

So it's all becaouse it has always to be[tex]\eta_{\nu\mu}=\Lambda_{\nu}^{a}\Lambda_{\mu}^{b} \eta_{ab} [/tex] to preserve length and stuff! and my silly example obviously won't satisfy this!

But new question...all of the Lorents transformation are reconducible to hyperbolic rotations?
If so this means that both the length and time axis 'squeeze' by the same angle [itex]\phi[/itex] towards the world line of a particle which moves whit the speed of light! isn'it?

Last edited:
The Lorentz transforms are the 6 rotations in the 4-D space time (3 rotations in space, 3 boosts) yes. However, there are 4 additional symmetries of Minkowski spacetime (3 translations, and 1 identity transform), and together these 10 symmetries make up the Poincare group.

In all, there are 3 boosts, 3 rotations in space, 3 translations, and 1 identity. I don't know where are you are getting this "squeezing" from.

There are four translations (three in space and one in time) and usually the identity isn't counted.

The (homogeneous restricted) Lorentz group: 1) does not include translations; 2) has elements that are generated by boosts and spatial rotations. These elements are not necessarily rotations or boosts.

Ah right, I miscounted. The identity is obtained by setting v=0 in a boost, or by rotating through angle 0, or by translating 0! 4 translations, 6 "rotations".

George, what do you mean specifically that these elements are not necessarily rotations or boosts? You mean that the elements of the Lorentz group may not be pure rotations or boosts, and could be a combination? This property is guaranteed by the closure property of groups.

1. What is a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime?

A coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime is a mathematical representation of four-dimensional space and time. It is used to describe the position and motion of objects in special relativity, taking into account the effects of both space and time. It is based on the concept of spacetime, where time is considered as the fourth dimension.

2. How does the rotation of a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime affect measurements?

The rotation of a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime can affect measurements in two ways. First, it can affect the measurement of time intervals, as the rotation of the coordinate system can cause a time dilation effect. Second, it can affect the measurement of spatial distances, as the rotation can cause a contraction or expansion of distances in the direction of rotation.

3. What is the significance of the rotation of a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime?

The rotation of a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime is significant because it allows us to understand and describe the effects of special relativity. It helps us to reconcile the seemingly contradictory concepts of space and time, and to accurately measure and predict the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

4. Can a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime be rotated in any direction?

Yes, a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime can be rotated in any direction. This is because Minkowski spacetime is a four-dimensional space, and its geometry allows for rotations in all four dimensions. However, the amount and direction of rotation can affect the measurements and calculations made in the coordinate system.

5. How is the rotation of a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime related to the Lorentz transformation?

The rotation of a coordinate system in Minkowski spacetime is a fundamental part of the Lorentz transformation. The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how space and time coordinates change when observed from different reference frames moving at constant velocities. The rotation of the coordinate system is a key component of this transformation, allowing for the effects of special relativity to be accurately described and calculated.