Question about why this vacuum setup works.

In summary: The argon in the box created a vacuum, and the gas was sucked down the tube because it was less dense than the liquid.
LogicX
So I'm degasing a solution in a glovebox. The way we did it is get a rubber septum that can cover the bottle opening. We stuck a needle through the top of it, as well as a glass tube with a porous end. We used the needle to create a vacuum in the bottle by hooking up it up to a pump. The glass tube is submerged in the solution, but is stuck through the rubber to be the only opening into the box. The argon from the glovebox then flows down the glass tube and out the frit at the bottom, degassing the solution.

I can't figure out why the gas would be sucked down the tube. Sure there is a vacuum in the bottle, but the tube opening is submerged. It doesn't know or care that there is a vacuum above it. The only part of the glass tube that experiences vacuum is the long tube part without any openings. So how is the vacuum sitting above the liquid making the gas flow into the tube which has it's end submerged?

Obviously it works for some reason, I just don't know why.

This has been bugging me, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So this tube is stuck into the solution you want to degass which is in a box? And the tube is porous on both ends? Where is the bottle located? I'm trying to help but I am not familiar with this process.

Drakkith said:
So this tube is stuck into the solution you want to degass which is in a box? And the tube is porous on both ends? Where is the bottle located? I'm trying to help but I am not familiar with this process.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/vacuumsetup.png/

The bottle is in a glovebox, but I think the solution still had dissolved oxygen in it so I wanted to degas it with the argon in the box. The needle is stuck through the rubber septum which is sealing the bottle, and is connected to a vacuum line. The glass tube is also stuck through the septum, with an opening on each end (the end in the bottle is porous, but I don't think that matters).

1. How does a vacuum setup work?

A vacuum setup works by creating a low-pressure environment, allowing air and other gases to be removed from a sealed container. This is typically done using a pump, which removes air molecules from the container and creates a vacuum.

2. What is the purpose of a vacuum setup?

A vacuum setup has many purposes in various industries, including scientific research, manufacturing, and food preservation. It is used to remove air and create a controlled environment for experiments, to prevent oxidation in certain materials, and to extend the shelf life of food products.

3. How does the vacuum setup prevent air from entering the container?

The vacuum setup is designed to create a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the container. This pressure difference pushes air molecules out of the container and prevents them from entering.

4. Can a vacuum setup be used for all types of gases?

No, a vacuum setup is typically designed to remove air and other gases, such as water vapor, from a container. It may not be effective for removing certain gases, such as helium and hydrogen, which have smaller molecules and can be more difficult to remove.

5. Is a vacuum setup dangerous to use?

Like any equipment, a vacuum setup can be dangerous if not used properly. The low-pressure environment created by the vacuum can cause implosions or explosions if the container is not strong enough to withstand the pressure difference. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when using a vacuum setup.