What is the Operator Product Expansion in Interacting Field Theory?

In summary, the Operator Product Expansion (OPE) is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to decompose the product of two operators into a sum of simpler operators. Its purpose is to allow for the calculation of correlation functions by reducing them to simpler, known quantities. The key features of the OPE include its expansion in terms of the separation between operators, its reliance on the concept of operator products, and its ability to simplify calculations. However, the OPE is limited to theories with well-defined short-distance behavior, assumes commutativity between operators, and only applies to conformally invariant correlation functions. In practice, the OPE is used to simplify calculations and analyze the behavior of quantum field theories in the short-distance limit.
gullio
hello,
I'm trying to find a good and exaustive explanation of operator product expansion.
I've read "renormalization" and weinberg but i continue to not understand ope in interacting field theory.
someone could help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a specific question? Also, have you read the big yellow book (Francesco)?

Yes but explain only conformal field theory.
For example I'm not able to wright down the ope for \lamda \phi^4. I don't know how to start

Sorry, I don't know anything about OPEs for non-conformal theories.

1. What is the Operator Product Expansion (OPE)?

The Operator Product Expansion (OPE) is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to decompose the product of two operators into a sum of simpler operators. It is based on the idea that in the short-distance limit, the product of two operators can be expressed as a sum of local operators, which can then be studied separately.

2. What is the purpose of the OPE?

The OPE allows for the calculation of correlation functions, which are important quantities in quantum field theory. By decomposing the product of operators into simpler operators, the OPE makes it possible to express correlation functions in terms of simpler, known quantities, making them easier to calculate.

3. What are the key features of the OPE?

The key features of the OPE include the fact that it is an expansion in terms of the separation between the operators, it is based on the concept of operator products, and it allows for the calculation of correlation functions by reducing them to simpler, known quantities.

4. What are the limitations of the OPE?

The OPE is limited to theories that have a well-defined short-distance behavior, such as conformal field theories. It also assumes that the operators involved commute with each other, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the OPE only applies to correlation functions that are invariant under conformal transformations.

5. How is the OPE used in practical calculations?

In practical calculations, the OPE is used to simplify correlation functions by decomposing them into simpler, known quantities. This allows for the application of perturbation theory, making calculations more manageable. The OPE is also useful in analyzing the behavior of quantum field theories in the short-distance limit.