Phase Difference?(Mutual Inductor)

In summary, for a mutual inductor component with <C1,L1> resonant to f0 and <C2,L2> also resonant to f0, with a very small mutual inductance M that can be ignored, the phase difference between the current i1 and the current i2 is approximately π/2. This is based on the assumption that i2 is in phase with the induced voltage E2, which is reasonable since the impedance of <C2,L2> is zero at f0. The presence of M does not significantly affect the phase relationship between E2 and i2.
genxium

Homework Statement

For a mutual inductor component like this, <C1,L1> is resonant to f0, <C2,L2> is also resonant to f0 too, and the mutual inductance between L1 and L2 is M, and M is very small so that it could be ignored in approximation. Assume that the voltage Vin on <C1,L1> is the induced voltage from sinusoid wireless signal, the current going through L1 is i1, and the current going through C2 and L2 is i2, find the phase different between i1 and i2.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi_{12} = M \cdot i_1 , Emf= - \frac {d \Phi}{d t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume [itex]i_1=Ae^{j \omega_0 t}, \omega_0 = 2 \pi f_0,[/itex]then [itex]E_2= -j \omega_0 M i_1, [/itex], <C2,L2> forms a serial connection , so I assume that [itex]i_2[/itex] is in phase with [itex]E_2[/itex], then the phase difference is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], but I'm not sure about the assumption "[itex]i_2[/itex] is in phase with [itex]E_2[/itex]", cause [itex]\omega_0[/itex] makes [itex]j \omega_0 L_2+\frac{1}{j \omega_0 C_2}=0[/itex], could I say that [itex]E_2,i_2[/itex] is "almost in phase" for this case?

Attachments

• ques.JPG
    ques.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can say that they are "almost in phase" since the impedance of <C2,L2> is zero at f0. The mutual inductance M will not affect the phase relationship between E2 and i2 significantly.

What is phase difference in mutual inductors?

Phase difference in mutual inductors refers to the difference in the phase angle between the voltage and current waveforms in two inductors that are connected in a circuit. This phase difference depends on the values of the inductors and the frequency of the current.

How is phase difference calculated in mutual inductors?

The phase difference in mutual inductors can be calculated by using the formula: Φ = tan⁻¹(XL2/XL1), where XL1 and XL2 are the reactances of the two inductors. The reactance can be calculated using the formula: XL = 2πfL, where f is the frequency and L is the inductance of the inductor.

What is the significance of phase difference in mutual inductors?

Phase difference in mutual inductors is important as it affects the performance of the circuit. It determines the amount of power that can be transferred between the two inductors and also affects the phase relationship between voltage and current, which can impact the efficiency of the circuit.

How does phase difference impact the power factor?

The power factor is the ratio of real power to apparent power in an AC circuit. A phase difference between voltage and current in mutual inductors can cause a lag or lead in the current, which can affect the power factor. This can result in a lower power factor and inefficient power transfer.

Can phase difference be controlled in mutual inductors?

Yes, phase difference in mutual inductors can be controlled by adjusting the frequency, inductance, and resistance of the circuit. By carefully selecting these values, the phase difference between two inductors can be minimized, resulting in a more efficient power transfer between the two inductors.